Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dad restored/refurbished the car in early 1980s...

I replaced the bezel (old one was worn).

Before I offer for sale as original/OEM can you look at it and give me your opinion?
Thanks!
Brown Font Wood Tints and shades Eyewear
Motor vehicle Font Eyewear Auto part Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
1,475 Posts
I can't say one way or the other, however the wiper and brake labels seem wrong, but maybe someone just applied those over the worn ones. Also, the back looks "different" but I can put my finger on it. I had photos when I rebuilt mine, but of course I deleted them when my camera spaced filled up...

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang fastback
158 Posts
If there's part numbers and a fomoco label on it I would say its original. Maybe a newer NOS one that has slight differences compared to an older original cluster.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The NOS ford parts counter one I bought in 1981 also had the same stickers which does not match what was done originally, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I've got 2 original deluxe clusters if you need me to verify anything on them or post a pic but it sounds like there were variations. I'd agree if they have the fomoco stamping, correct numbering, etc. that they are probably NOS, a repo wouldn't look so patina'd.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
In order to use this on a Concours car (noting that most will just slap on a repro and call it a day) the process for this would be to (1) toss the brushed aluminum piece and send the plastic to vacuum orna-metal (Romulus, MI) for rechroming, and (2) procure and install a quality and authentic or original brushed aluminum piece made by Burton (available through NPD). The original 67 vintage parts tend to be cracked in multiple places, whereas the 1980's Ford NOS parts tend to be solid, but in need of new chrome. Just my experience. I have multiple originals and the plastic base of the 1980's Ford NOS parts is a dead ringer for the originals, which is nice. To summarize the value in your piece is the plastic base if there are little to no cracks. Some will purchase a new repro, toss the inaccurate brushed aluminum, and install the Burton piece, or perhaps buy the whole thing through Burton (if they still do that). To pay for a 1980's NOS part that will also need the rechroming (not cheap) is for only a few.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts