Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://forum.mustangpassion.fr/images/uploads/globule/dsc03722b.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7536/dsc03706bjo1.jpg

Is the bar above the bumper an original '67 option ?

·
Registered
1965 Honey Gold A-Code Coupe
413 Posts
Wish I could help you, but I don't know. All I can say is... wow. That's ugly.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Never saw one like THAT!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Very interesting and not altogether bad looking. Would surely ease mounting auxiliary lighting. I'm interested in Laurie's, Speegle's and Turner's inputs. I've never seen anything like it. Kinda looks like an engineering school project to add enhanced protection to me. Looking at my books, I don't see that it was standard. But I don't have every book on the subject nor am I a judge.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Looks like it makes fill-ups a PITA.

Somebody went to alot of trouble to make that.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
The chrome on the bumperettes seems to be a different color, but other than that, they seem to fit the contour of the bumper correctly, so even if they weren't a Ford part, they definitely were made for a Mustang. The additional bumper/nerf bar attached to it? Blech.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Hopefully someone will answer you question!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
your

·
Administrator
19,500 Posts
First I've ever seen anything like that and, I hope, the last. :p

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
I bet money it is a JCWhitney or similar after market item.

John Harvey

·
Registered
208 Posts
Looks well made.
Are the ends of the upper tube welded to the original bumper in the back? How about the front.
It just doesn't look 60's to me. I would guess it was made in the 70's, but that is just my opinion, no expert.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I like the painted/unpainted turn signal bezels too!
Thanks, Doc

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
JSHarvey said:
I bet money it is a JCWhitney or similar after market item.

John Harvey
+1 that.
IIRC, JC Penney, Whitney, even Sears and Canadian Tire/Western Tire sold "kits" akin to the above. Kinda along the lines, but happily rarer than, things like the pony bumperettes, Landau bars for coupes, sunroofs, Mustang hood ornaments, etc. I'm also sure quality varied according to these parts also.

Even today, in the back of a currect Road and Track, Car and Driver, etc., you find lots of "extras" like wood grain dashes for your SUV, lambskin seat covers, etc. for current cars.
I guess since the Mustang were so popular in their day, all sorts of other manufacturers would have been eager to "attach their flag" somehow to the Mustang phenomenon and milk some profits from it -- tacky or otherwise.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
mexican plates??? I see an oregon stae sticker on the rear window...

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Looking at all the VW's in the picture, I'd bet thats where the idea came from.

http://collectorcars-int.com/next/gallery/photos/251_3.jpg

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Over-rider bars were a left over idea from the 40's. It does seem like it was manufactured rather than custome made. The bumper gaurds are probably a different color because they look to be aluminum like so many aftermarket bumper gaurds were.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
To say the least they are different aren't they. My only other thought is that I hope they don't catch on.
Al

1 - 20 of 21 Posts