Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me first say that i got this car for nothing, and so fare have no money into it, however it is going to go to the body shop soon to get some welding done, and be sandblasted. the floorboards, frame rails and some other stuff was replaced, so structurally, there isnt much rust, however, most of the body panels have seen better days.

i pulled off the rear vallence the other day and noticed this:
http://home.attbi.com/~ksmid5/mustang/problem1.jpg
what does that thing do that sticks down on the left? the bumper doesnt bolt to it... i cant figure it out. anyone know? is it a bad thing that it doesnt exist on the passengers side anymore? thanks in advance

- jason

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
OH MY DEAR GOD!!!!

actually, I cant tell what it is..lol

oh, and its spelled structurally.....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was thinking it was an exaust hanger possibly, but the exaust wasn't hung from it when i got the car. it was originaly an I6 car, but a PO converted it to 302... changing it to dual exaust in the process. the rear vallence on the car did not have holes for the exaust to come out of it, like some cars do.

btw- thanks sharkmouth, i fixed it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
- Jason

·
Registered
727 Posts
If it's bolted to the car, then I agree with jpony645 that the bottom of the chrome bumperguards bolt to it. It looks like there was replacement metal work done on the passenger side and the holes to mount the passenger side bracket aren't there.

G

·
0 Posts
Yes, it is the bumber guard bracket and the left and right ones connect differently. The left one has a bolt that is accessable from inside the trunk and the right one has all the bolts accessible from outside the vehicle. Thus, if someone is stripping the rear end of parts, the left bracket gets left behind since they don't bother to go inside the trunk. Stupid, but thats what happens. I should know, since I did the same thing to mine.

The bumper guards and GT exhaust are mutually exclusive, so I will be deleting my brackets.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hey I'll give you $100 for it and you won't have to worry about it anymore. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
I'm deleting my bumper guards and changing to GT Valance. Anyone else need brackets? Send me P/M if you do!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts