Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST BOUGHT IT TODAY. I CALLED ABOUT A 68 COUPE, 6 CYL, WITH 57K MILES ON IT. I THOUGHT I WOULD GO HAVE A LOOK, EVEN THOUGH I'M A FASTBACK GUY. THIS IS A 68 COUPE, WITH DELUXE WHITE INTERIOR, WITH A BENCH SEAT! CAR HAS COMPLETE CONVENIENCE CONTROL PANEL & IT ALL WORKS, HAS AIR CONDITIONING & RADIO DELETE! ALSO HAS GLOVE BOX LOCK, REMOTE MIRROR, OVERHEAD CONSOLE, CLOCK, DOOR GRILLES & LIGHTS, & THE INTERIOR IS IMMACULATE!. EXTERIOR IS MOSTLY RUST FREE, THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT IS VERY CLEAN, & THE TRUNK LOOKS LIKE THE DAY IT WAS NEW! THE SPARE HAS NEVER HIT THE GROUND. THE CAR STILL HAS THE ORIGINAL STICKER DECAL FROM THE FORD DEALER IT WAS BOUGHT FROM. ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA ON HOW MANY OF THESE CARS MAY HAVE BEEN EQUIPPED LIKE THIS. HOW RARE IS THIS CAR?

G

·
0 Posts
post the VIN and im sure some people can give you some more info.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

G

·
0 Posts
I would remove the radio delete plate and see if the dash has been hogged out for a custum
steerio. It seems unbelievable that the original owner would get every imaginable option
and not have a radio. Maybe he was hearing impared.???
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979479&p=43366578.jpg

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
An exact answer would have to be provided by Kevin Marti since he has access to the database for 68. Yes what you have found is an odd and unpopular combination. Today we sometimes see similar combinations where the owner created a conversation piece by adding numerous options to an unusual car.

From Kevin's book
2,934 coupes got the convience panel (almost twice thenumber installed in the other two body styles together)
9,843 coupes were ordered with the deluxe interior though I don't see the bench seat break down
75,000 (approx) coupes were ordered with a 6 cylinder
47,000 (approx) coupes got AC
33,942 coupes came with Remote control mirrors

A few thoughts though. I would suggest that what your looking at is not a very high dollar car and in many cases still a parts car for may of us (providing parts for a higher demand car being restored. These cars are great to dig through to get details and some history (if it is an untouched original car) Sounds like a great car .

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation, and help.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1609818&a=12284202&p=44925357.jpg

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff - I do appreciate the info you provided, however, I DO NOT consider this to be a parts car for more DESIREABLE cars. This car is in original untouched condition, & has been off the road since 1984 or so. As for your comment that this is an unusual & undesirable car combination, What makes it different from every other 68 Coupe 6cyl car out there?? THE OPTIONS! I think that makes it more desirable! If these were not desireable cars, I don't think this forum would be a popular as it is. I don't come from that School of Thought that if it isn't a V-8, it's a parts car. I am sure there are an awful lot of other Mustangers that will appreciate the original condition of this car. And as for your comment that it would be a parts car for many, KEEP LOOKING.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i have to say that i agree with jeff, dont get me wrong it sounds like a neat car, but its been my experience that 'weird' cars tend to be less or sometimes as desireable as a other popular cars. but first and foremost is the fact it this car is a 6 cyl coupe. nothing wrong with that- but to most of us its just not desireable. i have yet to ever hear the question on the forum, " how do you convert a 302 to a 200 1v 6cyl?" so im assuming most ppl prefer a small block. cant automatically assume because it an unpopular color combo or has few options that its worth a bunch more than more popular high production # cars. cant imagine what you paid for the car, but the last complete conveniance control setup i saw sold for almost a 1000 dollars. so you might want to consider selling that off, you may get the car for free. but if the car is in good original condition, i imagine the 'right' thing to do is keep it or perhaps even restore it.

[email protected]
[color:green]www.ang67must.com</font color=green>

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
One of the VMF'ers IS converting a V8 Mustang over to an I6. I can't remember who or why but I know some one is doing it.

Regards,

Dean T

(who's always late)

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Is the A/C dealer installed? I'm thinking it must be; A/C equipped cars the convenience control panel
lights were mounted in the console since the dash had A/C vents. However, your car has a bench
seat hence no console.

I'm a V-8 man myself but I wouldn't part out this car unless it is rusted, has body damage or is missing
some major mechanical parts. It sounds like the car is in very good condition. But Jeff is right; it typically
won't command as high a price as a V-8 Mustang would even if the V-8 car has a few less options. It does
make for an unusual car since few people would option a Mustang so heavily without also ordering at least
a 289 V8.

Good luck with it.

-Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts