Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy gave me an old aluminum drive shaft from a 67 mustang he once had and I'm thinking of using it in the T-5 swap I'm currently in the middle for my 65. The actual tube looks to be in good shape, no dents or visible damage, but the flanges on the ends look beat up. Do you think it's still okay to still use?

Attachments

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1 351 Black Jade
20 Posts
Unless you are putting 500+ hp to the ground I'd say use it.

·
Premium Member
6,271 Posts
Aftermarket Sonnax. I'd have it looked at and re-balanced before using it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My buddy mentioned he had it re-balanced with the intention of using it in his car before he lost interest and sold it. I guess my concern is the scratches on the flanges.... But I guess what matters is the actual tube, right?

·
Dimples
4,647 Posts
My only concern would be that you may have to shorten it for the T5. Milage varies with that, but I had to shorten mine. I'm sure that's do-able with aluminum, but I know that's a barrier for some.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The machined area where the u-joint bearings ride in the flange is a concern. I see nicks and wear in every picture when zoomed in at full resolution.

·
Registered
925 Posts
The only area I'd question is the snap ring groove on the scraped side. If a snap ring will fully engage in that slot, you shouldn't have any problems using it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts