Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Is this FlamingRiver RnP supposed to WORK? - HELP!

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  MustangJack 
#1 ·
OK I am getting really frustrated at this "upgrade" and I do not even have it on the car yet. If you are one of the lucky individuals who have tinkered with the Flaming River RnP, please give me some advice....

First problem is that now that the frame is in the car (thank you three pound sledge hammer....) I tried to put the RnP on the frame and noticed that it..

(A) interferes with my starter. I was prepared for a few interferences near the shift linkage, but not the starter. Is this normal? Do I need to buy and install a new starter in order to use this product?

http://pfunder.com/images/lucy/0704post/WebLSartRnp0704.jpg

and (B) there is no good point on the RnP to attach the passenger side mounting bracket. The frame has mounting points exactly 11" apart. Measuring 11" from the cast mounting point puts me right smack-dab on the boot attach clamp of the passenger side of the RnP. Am I supposed to move the boot?

http://pfunder.com/images/lucy/0704post/WebLRnPBrack0704.jpg

Please help me. Flaming River does not have support hours on the weekends (The only time I can actually find time to work on my car).

-Dan

See less See more
#3 ·
Please accept my condolences. I also tried to install the "bolt on kit" and even with direct application (headers) help from F/R was unable to make the kit fit my car.

Dave from DVS has been the only person I know that was able to make a kit function. He created his own bracket and modified the rack to make the parts work.

Nothing for nothing, get rid of it, it a a true piece of #%&*. They are of no help, and you will have to battle to get a refund from them. I wish you the best of luck, Jeff

#4 ·
Dan,

For questin a), I cannot answer, as I did not make it that far with the installation. I set the engine in, but it was several months ago, and I don't remember if the starter was attached.

For question b), your rack is narrower than mine. For the dimension you show, my rack measures 11 5/8". The clamp fits just inside the rubber boot. It sounds like you have the wrong rack for the cradle.

Good luck,

Brian

sent you a PM

#5 ·
I am sorry you are having problems...I don't know how to help you, but I do know I am not buying the FR Rack....I will spend more money and buy the TCP Rack...i hear they go in very nicely.

Too bad, I like the package deal from FR...

Mel :(

#6 ·
Dan -
I feel for you, as I am in damn near the same situation. Mounting points for my rack were exactly 11" apart, but the mount fit just next to the boot.

I did not have contact with the starter motor, but it was close.

My problem lies in connecting the outer tie rod ends to the rack. the sleeve on the rack needs to adjust out about two inches or more for adequate thread engagement. I have yet to be able to adjust them out far enough to even contact the rod ends. FR says the sleeve is supposed to stay loctited to the inner rod end, and adjust from the inner threads. But a few members have told me the is absolutely incorrect and could cause problems.

I'm in a holding pattern until their customer support line opens Monday morning.

I don't have a website with pics from my install, but send me a PM if you are interested and I'll send you the pics I have.

Chris

#8 ·
The clearance between the starter and the Rack is only about 1/4 inch. As others have indicated, I am also concerned that engine movement will cause contact. http://www.rileysdm.com/flaming/starter_clearance.jpg

Here's what I was talking about regarding the distance between the adustment sleeve and the outer tie rod. http://www.rileysdm.com/flaming/p_side_sleeve.jpg

#9 ·
pfund98,
at the mustang round up today i was parked next to a man that had the same RnP installed. I asked him about everything i had heard on the boards and he said it took a while, and needed some convincing but he finally got it in. Since you are in Washington i would contact him. I dont remember his name but he was with Mustangs Northwest so maybe they could help you find him. He was driving a 66 GT fastback, white with black pony interior, was basicly stock except for the RnP and tremec 5 speed. hope this helps.

keith

#10 ·
OHHH that makes me mad. I walked the entire modified lot of roundup looking for Rnp connections to spindles. I must have missed him. Thanks for the information. I'll ask around and see if I can get a name.

-Dan

By the way, I can connect the outer tie rods to the spindles, but I only have 2-3 threads in contact on each side of the RnP. I hope FR will be able to help me out in the morning.

#11 ·
Dan,
The fit is normally very tight on the passenger side. On Jacks car he had a Cobra 7 qt. pan which hit the passenger mount, so I ended up moving that mmount out about 3/4 of an inch to get it to clear. HOWEVER, Jack was running a late model small starter, and if he had used an old style like yours I would have been in trouble. Other things that can cause the interference are aftermarket tranny and engine mounts - they aren't all built the same and you can effect the driveline angle, which will effect the clearance of the rack (it's near the pivot point).

My suggestion to you would be to send it back and get a refund. This is not the last problem you will have with the system. You can contact me privately and I can help you out some more if you still want to pursue it.

Good luck man,
Dave

#12 ·
FR doesn't have much support during the week either.

After driving mine for a couple of months. It was an incredible waste of time and money. The steering wheel riberates at 65 mph. It is very tight steering, but it shakes just as you start to make corrections. And most of all, trying to park it may be even harder that that stupid factory steering box.

I can believe that they can even still sell them. Especally for the. what $300 - $350 extra they want for the thrird joint and bearing that still won't clear the headers.
::

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.