Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch release lever rod is off at angle (see pics).
Is this typical? I'm concerned that this might shear the hairpin clip and the rod will fall off.

http://www.aopclick.com/images/DSCN0816.jpg
http://www.aopclick.com/images/DSCN0818.jpg

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Mine is not like that. From the pics it looks to me like the equalizer bar is on backwards or something. Is it possible to turn the Z bar around and make it face the opposite direction? That should put the lower section of the Z bar in line with the adjustment rod.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
He has a K code. The equalizer bottom is on the other side.

That angle is not a problem.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the same manual K code set up, and it is not at an angle. Either the clutch fork is wrong or the Engine side equalizer bar mount. The engine side mount is different for the K code.

Keith

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Boy that looks familar. I put a toploader in my 70 and it looked possibly even worse than yours. What I did was took a propane torch while in a vise and tweeked it a little. Mine isn't perfect but alot closer.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
From the distance between the dust boot and bell, it looks like the clutch fork isn't seated properly. Either that, or it's the wrong fork, as already mentioned. Either way, it looks like the fork is the problem.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have the exact same issue on my 66 K. Now I'm starting to wonder if this isn't normal...

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
It looks like your z-bar is bent incorrectly. Z-bars are weak and will bend out of shape over time. I'd pull the z-bar and check it against a new one.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
I'm with Dailydriver on this one. Looks to me like the clutch fork isn't seated on the fulcrum. Are you driving the car i.e. is the clutch actualy working? Can you see inside the bell to verify if the fork is positioned correctly and that it's fully engaging the TO bearing?

By design, there is supposed to be "Some" room for movement and variation in the push rod angle but IMO that's WAY TOO MUCH!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts