Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a supposed HiPo block with extras for sale and am trying to determine if this is real or not...also if there is any way to tell whether or not this block came out of a Mustang. I've always wanted to build up a K code engine and this may be a good way to get this 'project' going for my '65 Vert. Also, is there any casting number or way to tell if the crank is HiPo?

I appreciate any insight from the resident experts...

Info:
Ford Block casting number C5AE-6015 E, date code 5M4
rods and pistons, casting on rods is C3AE-D

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gomerking

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
The block casting # is correct for the 289HP...so it would depend on the main caps.

HiPo rods would have the 3/8 bolts with a very distinctive head (one side flat vs rounded).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a date code on the mains: C30 E-A. This block is for sale on an auction site, so information is not complete. It's a local sale, so I am planning to take a look this weekend.

Any suggestions on things to look for would be very appreciated!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Note the "ridge" on the stock main cap....not present on the hipo:

http://a2.cpimg.com/image/4C/2B/9770572-b987-02000168-.jpg

Here's a Mexican 302 cap....same as a hipo:

http://a3.cpimg.com/image/6D/5E/16255853-7850-022A021C-.jpg

·
Registered
881 Posts
Weren't the standard and hi-po blocks and cranks all the same? The only diff being the main caps. If you had a date code correct 289 and a spare set of hi-po main caps, then you've basically got a 289 hi-po short block. Did these engines get a VIN stamp?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
According to Bob Mannel's book, the hipo blocks got some extra "attention" to ensure no flaws.

The hipo cranks had the same markings as stock, but orange paint dabs to distinguish them. They were probably tested for hardness as well.

If you had the block and could round up some original main caps (very expensive) you'd have to have the mains align bored/honed to ensure proper fit of the crank and bearings.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Weren't the standard and hi-po blocks and cranks all the same?
From what I gather from Tom Monroe's book, HP289 cranks differed from 289 cranks in that the HP289 crank had stricter metallurgical requirements (higher nodularity = more of the included graphite is spherical for ensured toughness and fatigue properties) and were hardness tested.

But more than I know is here.

·
Registered
881 Posts
So if a guy had an early date coded standard bore 289 block, it might be worth hangin' on to? Would the early 5 bolt(bellhousing) blocks be worth as much as the latter style 6 bolt?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
just be careful as its a common practice to use "mexico" block caps on a 289 block to make a HiPo. thats actually what I did to the block for my B/FX falcon.(but I'm not gonna try to pass it off as a real HiPo)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone, this is really good information and I'm learning a lot!

On further inspection, it looks like the mains are early HiPo. What should I expect to pay for them (just a ballpark).

Thanks again!!

Gomer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts