Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out today to look at a '70 MACH 1,about a 30 mile round trip, air temp in the 70's.After I got home, I went back outside after about an hour and saw a small puddle under my overflow tank.All the way out and all the way back the water temp was 200 at full temp.I have new rad., new thermastat, new hoses and Tefba filter.Drove the same distance or more last weekend and did not notice any dripping from tank.My guestion is, should the rad. be pushing fluid into the overflow tank at this temp.?If not what the hell is going on. :shrug: P.S. the Mach 1 was not there.

·
Registered
10,526 Posts
If you had too much fluid in your rad to begin with then this will be normal.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did have it pretty full, if it was too full, then I assume that when it cools down , the rad. will not suck fluid in overflow back, right?Proper fluid level would be just above the grid, right?

·
Registered
10,526 Posts
Aren't the early overflow containers just a puke holder? If so then they won't suck the coolant back like the new cars. My 65 just has an overflow hose to the ground.

Yes, the level is just above the fins.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pprince said:
Aren't the early overflow containers just a puke holder? If so then they won't suck the coolant back like the new cars. My 65 just has an overflow hose to the ground.

Yes, the level is just above the fins.
No, they do allow the coolant to return to the rad. that's why you have to have the 2 gasket cap. Just went out to check and the coolant has been sucked out of overflow and back into the rad. and it is too full.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
with an overflow tank and the 2 gasket cap the radiator needs to be full when cold. maybe your teba filter is clogged? are you sure that where it was leaking from is not a hose connection that needs attention? wes

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked the Tefba, not clogged.It was definately coming out of the overflow tank.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
How large is your overflow tank? Is the overflow empty when the motor is cold? Also, how large of a radiator are you running? My 28x19 cross flow will overflow my aluminum cylinder shaped overflow even when the overflow is empty on a cold motor. The radiator has to be completely full to do this though. When there is that much coolant it will expand quite a bit

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The overflow tank is one of those stainless steel tubes that everyone sells, The rad. is std. size(for 351W).The tank has appr. 1" of coolant in the bottom when cold.I drained out appr. 2" of coolant out of rad.(still above fins)and went out for a little ride yesterday, got water temp. up to std 200 degrees, came home and saw no dripping out of overflow, I think I had way to much coolant to start with.Will go for longer ride this weekend and see what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts