Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking for a fun winter welding project, my Watts link. Some friends wanted photos after i finished and installed it so while looking through the camera lense, I says to myself - self, that differential looks like crap. Next its in the driveway - you know the drill, brake lines, e cable, pull the drums - heck, gotta do the drive shaft since I've got the paint stuff out...

Then there is a post and conversation about what to paint underbodies with. Well, next time I'm down under I says to myself - self, while I have the 3rd member out might as well deal with this surface rust and paint the underbody between the frame / subframes - might as well go from the trans mount back while I'm in here. So out come the electricals from the battery in the trunk and fuel and brake lines. While that's out might as well remount the fuel pump and filter to the Watts Link to clean things up, so out they come too.

Then the post about batteries in the trunk - so while I have all the wiring pulled to paint the underbody might as well move the solenoid and install it all once the right way. Now all the wiring in the engine compartment is everywhere!!!

I'm outta control here. So here is my commitment to myself and explanation if I disappear for a while: If I so much as take one more bolt off this car before I drive it again, I am taking a vacation from VMF till I'm back in the saddle again.

So wish me luck and If I disappear for a while - its for a good cause...

Best,

M

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
:)

I know what you mean, I was just checking out that fine wiring on another post!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yeah stripped the engine on the fastback last weekend to paint and detail. Now everything under the hood is stripped. What was going to be a couple days will be lucky to have together next weekend. Plus I went to Virginia Classic Mustang and spent $146 on rubber plugs, battery box that has to be taken apart and rewelded, radiator that I didn't need but the conv will when I get to it $60 just had a couple damaged fins. Sure have to watch when starting those small jobs.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Haha I do know what you mean. Right now I am trying to keep her on the road and nothing that will take to long. Safe and looking good and in a few years with some saved up cash start to tear it back down and do everything right.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Definately. I joined this site a year or 2 ago and after about 8 years of doing mostly nothing to my car, since I joined this site I have done the following.

Igntion upgrade
Built custom Gauge panel
Seats
3g alternator conversion
Electric fan conversion
New transmission(replaced worn out t-5)
Sound deadening
New carb
Wiring cleanup
Stereo/speaker installation.

That is just the stuff that I have been inspired to do by browsing this site. There have been a few other things that had to be done due to stuff breaking/wearing out.

Jafo

·
VMF Ambassador
6,660 Posts
Definitely yes. You know what they say... ignorance is bliss. This site has taught me a lot, which subsequently means that I can't possibly ignore some of the upgrades that I should be making. I try not to have more then 3 projects going at once though :p My dad calls it 'Might-as-well' disease!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey, look at it this way; you're living by the Creedo my father taught me early in life.

"If it needs doing, it needs doing right."

·
Registered
9 Posts
I keep looking at my car and thinking:

"If I remove this to do that, then I might as well do that also...and then there's..."

I'm hoping my V8 suspension and drivetrain upgrade doesn't turn into a full blown restoration.
Ah yes the very often heard about "SNOWBALL":shocked: Where that I'll just fix that dent in the fender turns into a concours restoration over 6 years.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I keep looking at my car and thinking:

"If I remove this to do that, then I might as well do that also...and then there's..."

I'm hoping my V8 suspension and drivetrain upgrade doesn't turn into a full blown restoration.
Dude, that is classic how they start out!

Be careful or it could be 8-10 years until you get to drive it again!

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
11 years ago I started my project with a full rotisserie restoration/restomod. But, since I started, I have gone a little further on some mods and decided to upgrade with a Rod & Custom coil over front end. And a lot of new developments in the market have driven some changes too. Gauge packages, Contoured seats and several other mods available. I cannot imagine that VMF didn't have anything to do with driving the market behind these products.
All in all, the bottom line on my project had gone deeper into my pockets, but it will be worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Since I bought my car a little over 4 years ago, I pretty much just kept it clean and running good for weekend driving. I joined this site about a month ago and I can't believe how much I've learned from you guys. In the last 3 weeks, I put in a new radiator, found the timing marks under all the gunk, and went on a small buying spree to get some things replaced that are just old. I've got a small pile of parts in the garage waiting for a long weekend. I bought new leaf springs, shackles, shocks, export brace and a carburator kit that hopefully will really smooth out my ride. My springs and shocks are original and I'm guessing pretty much shot since the rear end sits too low.

The biggest problem I have with this site is seeing all the beautiful paint jobs on your cars and knowing I'm a long way from getting new paint on mine. That, and I wish Ivygreen would change his signature picture because that's what I want my engine to look like and it's nowhere close to it. :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
It's our weekly "while I'm at it" thread, lol. It must be contagious, cause I think everyone on this site has caught it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I remember when my car was running, well at least I barely remember it seems like so long ago.

One break down on the highway turned into a full restoration. One push rod! I still have it sitting on my desk I look at it every day and say to myself, how did I get into this situation?

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Arrrggghhhh

'90 5.0 HO
AOD tranny rebuilt by me

All new wiring harness

Painted the car myself (hardest job by far)

electric autometer gauges in the original dash gauge bezel, before the new and improved fancy bezels that are made for this

3.50 diff

2 speed elect fan

aftermarket seats

headliner

elect fuel pump

2g alt

alum radiator

too much $$$$$$$ because of thing/projects/etc that I saw others do on here. BTW the damn pictures they post on said projects just lure me to my fall like candy to a fat boy!!!!! :makeout:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
"Is this site sucking you guys into unplanned projects?"

Nope--I do that fine all by myself. I started my '69 project out as a valve job. Next thing I knew, the car was completely stripped and bolted on a rotisserie. There isn't much left to get sucked into with this project... (but on the next one :eek:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Heck YES! Reading about all the projects and seeing some of the car photos makes me want to do it all. I have to keep telling myself, "One thing at a time you fool!"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts