Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Is this Spal fan big enough?? Advice needed.

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  65coupei6 
#1 ·
I am looking at the 16" puller for my I-6 wih no A/C. I originally got the 2360 cfm, however it won't clear the waterpump as it is 3.39" deep. The 1300 cfm which is only 2.05" deep will fit. Does this seem like it will do a sufficient job cooling? Is anyone using one like this on their 6 cyl's? As usual thank you for your ideas and input.

#4 ·
Amp draw is 8 amps and the alternator is putting out 55 amps.

#5 ·
alternator is putting out 55 amps.

Is that a "measuerd" 55 amps, or is it rated at 55 amps? If it's "rated" at 55, that means it will put out 55 amps at optim RPM. Usually they'll put out about 20 amps less at idle. In any event, though, it will likely be enough.

M ine was rated at 35 amps, and simply couldn't keep up.

#6 ·
I took the alternator in to the local rebuilder and he wrote on the test sheet : "output 55amp 14 volts. Anyhow do you think that the 1378 cfm will cool the I-6. The only reason I am putting it on is it boils the carb on a hot day after letting the car sit for 5-15 minutes and then restarting. (pretty embarrassing when your ride vapor locks at the local drive thru.)It really never gets hot on regular driving and that is with the original "weak" 4 blade fan. So I am planning on wiring the fan hot (key off) in conjunction with a adjustable thermostat. That way when I shut it off and it starts to heat up the fan will kick on to cool it down. I am running a 180 degree thermostat and plan on adjusting the fan to kick on about 200-210 degrees Now do you think the 1378 cfm fan is sufficient?. The days here in Northern KY. never really get much hotter than 90. Thanks again for your input.

#7 ·
Mount the fan shroud directly to the radiator without any spacers, insulators, etc.

Mount the fan off-center from the snout of the water pump.

See if there is a way of moving the radiator forward.

Get a bigger radiator and use the Spal dual 11" fans, the motors are 4.25" deep, but they're 6" off center. In the center the fan looks to be about 2.6". Spal has diagrams here. It's supposed to pull 2780cfm. A 67-68 big block radiator is wide enough for the dual fans, has the inlets/outlets on the correct side, but you'll need reducers.

#8 ·
FYI,

If you are getting vapor lock, you may want to check the routing of the fuel line and see if it is too close or touching the engine in some area. (I'm not familiar with I6's) I've heard the the steel fuel line between the fule pump and carb will absorb quite a bit of heat; a remedy is to replace the steel line with a rubber fuel line.

#9 ·
If you just want it to turn on just to cool it off a bit you might want to add a pusher fan in front of the radiator and also keep your original fan. Just mount a smaller fan off center so it will not conflict with your original fan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.