Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, After listening to everyone rave about their T-5 swaps, I've decided I may need one too. However, I'm completely ignorant, when it comes to these transmissions. So, tonight I talked to a gentleman, whom just picked up an SVO Mustang. Currently, it has a 302/5-speed in it. But he's going to convert it to an Automatic, so he said I could have the Trans, Flywheel, clutch, & bellhousing for $400. He told me that this is the same trans, that Ford put into the GT's. The Trans is supposed to be the original trans, for this car, which I believe to be an '85 SVO. Is this the Trans I want? Any, and all opinions will be greatly appreciated!

J.R.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
AFAIK, the SVO trans is either identical or very close to the regular 2.3 T5, rated at 235lb/ft with a 3.87 1st gear, pretty worthless in a V8 car. Since the car has been swapped, it would be nice to know the tag number on the trans, then you could know for sure.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I had mine built by a local guy that is real good.
Paid $650.00 plus my old worn out T-10. It has held up to 289 Foot pounds of torque with no problems. With my 3.55 rear gears this makes a big improvement off the line, while still able to cruise at 60 mph in 5th gear at 1900 rpm. If I were to buy a used tranny, I think I would have it gone through to make sure it can hold up to the torque rating of my engine.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Couped up said:
Currently, it has a 302/5-speed in it. But he's going to convert it to an Automatic, so he said I could have the Trans, Flywheel, clutch, & bell housing for $400.
If the intention is to have a fun driver and you're bolting it to another 302 the trans will be fine.

What year block do you want to bolt it to? If you have a pre '85 block, then the flywheel he has will probably have to be re-balanced to 28oz imbalance or you'll need to buy a correct 28oz flywheel ('85 & later 5.0's were 50oz). Depending on mileage, the clutch probably needs replacing.

By going with the late model bell, you'll be limited to either cable or hydraulic clutch. Both of which require cost and application considerations

On the surface, the deal looks fair. ($250-$300 used trans, $50-$75 used bell, $50-$75 used flywheel, $50 – $75 used clutch) But you'll want to inspect things and make sure it will be right for your application before agreeing to the deal (make sure the block plate comes with the bell housing).

I'm local to you and have done several T5 swaps, in 65-68 cars so if you want talk more, drop me a PT.

Also suggest you do a few searches here on the VMF............ You'll be readign for days ;)

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
As stated, I believe the SVO is the 2.3 T5... On a local mustang board you should be able to throw a rock and hit a v8 T5 for sale.. At least you can here.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
couldn't imagine a 3.87 first gear.... i thought i had it bad with a 3.35!!!! just take off in 2nd!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a T5 from a 4cyl with the tall first gear(3.97). It takes off good with the 3.00 gears in the rear I have. I do have to up shift pretty quick though about 10-15mph I wouldn't go any lower than the 3.00 with a 4cyl tranny. Definitely have the tranny looked at as 3rd gear is a weak point of these trannys.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I thought the 4cyl trans had a smaller pilot dia. than the V8'S?

If you have to swap/rebuild parts it may be cheaper just to buy a KNOWN V8 trans.

·
Registered
207 Posts
They do have the smaller diameter pilot snout. Use a Mazda Miata pilot bearing which has the same outside diameter as a V8 ford and the same inside diameter as the 4cyl trans.
I've used a 4 cyl trans with a 2.80 gear and it worked fine for 3+ years and over 40k miles.
Compare ratios:
3.97 first gear with a 2.80 rear is a ratio of 11.116.
Most common V8 T-5 is 3.35 first and a 3.50 rear = 11.725
3.25 rear is 10.887.
Final gear 4cyl .79 with 2.80 = 2.21
Final gear V8 .68 with 3.25= 2.21
V8 .68 with 3.50= 2.38
If you consider that most 4 cyl Mustangs were never thrashed and abused as much as the 5.0's, the trans is in better shape internally from the donor. Plus on a budget they can be bought for $100-$150 compared to the V8's price.
True that torque ratings are different but unless you have real sticky tires and are abusing the car you shouldn't have a problem. For a daily driver or weekend cruiser it's not a problem.
I've broken a V8 T-5 but haven't a 4 cyl at least not yet.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all of you, who have responded. It appears I have a lot more research to do, as well as verifying, just exactly, what this guy is selling. His ad is posted for an engine, described as a "289/302" ? In the ad, he offers the option, to purchase it with the trans. Although I'm not interested in the engine, I inquired about the transmission. Unfortunately, He called me while I was negotiating some very bad traffic, and I had to cut the call short. As he's very busy, the car will not be able to be viewed, till next weekend. However he stipulated, that I would have 1st shot at the trans. It sounds as if he just aquired this car, and wants to return it to the SVO platform, w/ an automatic. The trans, and motor, are still in the car, and can be driven. The car I'm contemplating this swap for, is a factory 4-speed car, with a J-code, and 3.00 rear. My intention for this car, is to be my Driver. So I felt the addition of the overdrive, might be nice. Although I will probably warm this engine up a bit, I can not foresee it exceeding 325 HP, as to it's intended use. (well....OK... maybe 375 HP, as I have been known to get carried away, at times.) Based upon past driving habits, I'm convinced that there will be times, when I will ask for everything this car has got, and then some! That being said, It's probably not in my best interest, to consider a weaker version of the T-5. Which leads me to my next question...... Which year and model, are the best, for my application? Thanks again, to all of you.

J.R.

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
Especially important at the bottom si the 4cyl, BUT, it doesn't specify if svt is 8cyl or 4cyl trans.. But man thats a low first gear.

G

·
You really should get a tag number off of the transmission. Since it has been swapped in that is the only way of knowing what you are getting.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup; It says that this maybe a one year only trans, w/ a 3.50 1st gear. But.....Hmmmmm....WC T-5Z? Wonder how hard it's going to be to find that one? Thanks again!

J.R.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts