1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
A fake goes for more than the real deal.
Wow. Even backwards... woW.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
To make things even worse for those of us who know what to look for, the Eleanor had a 5.0 engine. I thought that was supposed to be either a 351W, a 401 or a 427 stroked engine. I have read all 3 stories on the engine. So technically speaking, was it even an authentic tribubute car.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
You guys are overlooking this part: The car is certified and comes with a "Gone in 60 Seconds" signed certificate.
That's got to be worth $100k right there. :)

I can see how a guy would be pulled toward the modern clone over an original from a pure driving experience point of view. New parts everywhere so you could argue that it would have a nicer ride and be less of a hassle to own (no old parts needing to be replaced). So if you had a ton of cash in your pocket and aren't smart enough to know that as an investment, you're better off buying the documented original, then you bid up the clone. Wonder how bad the buyer's remorse will be if/when he tries to sell it?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Who was it that said the Eleanor craze was done??
Pretty car though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
648 Posts
The "Auctions With Alcohol" strikes again!

According to Haggerty, the Lot #667 GT500 sold at just above "#3 Good" condition value. Perhaps the car had provenance issues which matter to Shelby collectors. Otherwise, it looks like someone got a good deal on a genuine collectible car.

So the Lot #665 "tribute" (ugh) is officially licensed by the movie. Whatever. Someone just bought the car version of a Franklin Mint collector plate. He should get not one, but TWO gold-plated Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle replica coins for free with the purchase.

When I think about the GT40 MK II replica in Gulf livery that could be built with this kinda money...Arghh.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I'm upset that BOTH cars are that ridiculous (because I don't own either).

If I'd owned either one I'd probably be interested in selling...

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
"A fool and his money are soon parted."
A fool and money are lucky to meet in the first place!

So did that certificate say it was a movie used car? Even ones used for hero beauty shots are generally not made to the highest standards, hence the 5.0. You can bet there were other shortcuts made in the build that a resto shop or guy in his garage wouldn't let slide.
Some day all of Nick Cages other cars will bring a premium, not like McQueen but something none the less.

I still remember the final scene from Innerspace, best one wheel burnout EVER! And ya, as long as were talking faked movie cars, id rather have that one as well, unless I can have Raul Julia's Daytona:crying:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
They don’t call it dumb money for anything.....

It’s all relative.
May be a drop in the bucket for the ole boy...

·
Registered
239 Posts
No one is commenting on the $2.7M for a 2019 corvette?! I get that it’s the last front engine one built, will be collectible for sure... but $2.7M?!

·
Vendor
3,623 Posts
These "brand-new-build" type of cars, that are built by businesses, for the specific purpose of turning a profit and supporting an ongoing business, stand completely apart and alone from the values of original/genuine collector cars..

Fact of the matter is, whether you're shopping a genuine "licensed" Eleanor from Brand New Musclecar (that's who is building these exclusive licensed units), or a GT convertible from Revology, or any other reputable/quality builder of "brand-new/all-new" reproduction-body restomods, you are going to find that the price of entry is around $150K bucks. It has to be, in order for these businesses to have any hopes of being profitable and viable.

So yeah, it appears crazy when an Eleanor sells for more than a driver-quality '67 GT500. But the two values are really not inter-relate-able. The builder of the Eleanor, a business paying for salaries and rent/mortgage and insurance and equipment and-and-and.., has to score $170K minimum probably every time they sell one, or... Or they cannot continue to do it.

It is what it is.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts