Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was chatting on the VMF chat today with Shaummy, Beebz, and Baracu and it got me to thinking about that rattle that I get from somewhere in my upper rear passenger's side quarter. For those not in the know, I have a 65 fastback, you know one of those like Kent secretly wishes he had....! Anyway, I go out with a couple of screwdrivers and some pliers, I mean, how hard can it be to find something loose and tighten it up? So I start by taking off the upper quarter trim. Of course the moulding strip had to come off first, and then the rear roof moulding, too. Hey, maybe I can find my build sheet while I'm in here (thought happily as I contort my 6'2'' around on the lowered rear seat). Wait, I have wanted to take out the rear seat anyway! Let me get my tool box! So, an hour later, I have the rear seat completely out (whoever the expert was that said losing the rear seat would only save me a few pounds needs to come to my house and pick up the complete rear seat out of mine! How about 50-60 pounds?!). Where was I? Oh yeah, took the seats out and the side trim and the upper trim and all the moulding and as a matter of fact, EVERYTHING behind the front seats is out.....except the hatch door leading to the trunk....it has two rivets on each side. Did I find the rattle? No/forums/images/icons/mad.gif! Am I going to put the rear seat back in? No way! Mine's a restomod, soon to have a rollbar, at least 4 points, maybe 6 or 8, haven't decided. Did I find my build sheet? No. Undoubtedly, the person who patched in another patch in my drivers rear floor, under the seat (Hey Mid, it matches the one in the front passenger's floor/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif!) found the sheet and kept it/threw it away. Oh well, such is life in the restomod fast lane /forums/images/icons/cool.gif. I do intend to see about fabricating a plywood floor and carpeting it to cover the assorted seams and such in the back. I believe that I can gain quite a bit of interior storage room and make it look alright and still be able to retrofit the seat if I ever feel the need. This should save quite a bit of weight, also (I'll gladly weigh the seat/rear shelf if anyone doesn't believe me).
So, isn't it funny how things go sometimes? One minute I'm talking about mosquitoes in Wisconsin on the chat and the next I'm completely gutting my car interior! Funny/forums/images/icons/frown.gif, it didn't seem like much of a jump between one thing and the other, either. I think I might need to take an aspirin now.........

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Scotty - Sounds like a case of "whileI'matits" brewing.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

You could somwhat cover up the rear by simply laying some carpet it that area, and then mounting the spare on the axle hump a la '65 Shelbys.....I'm thinking of this for my 66 coupe.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
That sounds like me and my friends here in Tucson. Often we just want to check some little thing and a half hour later there is a pile of parts in the middle of the garage. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Very cool. hey i just thought of something. now there is no need to contort to get into the back seat(for whatever reason) decided to check out a rattle yeah right /forums/images/icons/wink.gif J/k

·
6,855 Posts
I found my rattle a few years back.

I pulled out the driver's side ash tray in back and though I saw something glimmer down below it. I got a flashlight. Low and behold there was a craftsman 3/8" ratchet stuck between the quarter trim and the rear quarter panel. Every time I went around a turn it thunked over one way or the other.

I fished it out, and it was all corroded and gommed up and didn't work. So I took it to Sears and made them give me a new one.

True story.

Phil

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Thats the way it happens, it is like the snowball effect, one thing leads to another & the next thing you know the whole interior is out.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The worst thing is, I still can't find the RATTLE! Its a metal hitting metal sort of sound, somewhere on the back passenger's side, maybe in the trunk, maybe not, I'll find it if I have to cut the top and peel it back! I may make an "Xtremestang" out of it, while I'm at it.....hmmmmmm? RussStreme!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. It has been quite an archeological adventure, I've already stripped up old sound deadener. I need to get that welder, fix the patch in the back and front floor pan and also weld the skin on the rear quarter.....its been lying in the garage for over 6 months now. I'll say this much, if the rear seat is out, you have LOTS of room back there for grocery bags, luggage, etc. I'm now the owner of a classic TWO SEATER sports car.......Who's Yo Daddy!???/forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Ahhh. The infamous Fastback Rattle. Can come from the air extractor vents, the fold-down seat rattling against the quarter trim, or even the bumper bolts on the fold down seat. Mine squeaks as the pin holding the seat up doesn't sit well. But I bet I know where your rattle is: someone dropped a nice wrench down the hole where the access to the top of the shocks are: you know: the black hole that sucks all tools and cannot be resucked back out!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Is your trap door tight? Just a thought..

G

·
0 Posts
Just for the heck of it, have you checked to see if any part of your exhaust is hitting the body? Drove me crazy on my convert.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to get a flexi-magnet and search the shock access holes, then I'll get Snuggle Bunny to drive me around while I lie in the back and listen, maybe with a stethoscope/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. It can't be the trap door latch, its hooked to the panel lying on my side porch. It may be exhaust/rear sway linkage/something underneath......I'll try that tomorrow. One bad thing about having a car lowered 2", its hard for a big 'ol boy to get under! Stay tuned to "Rattle Me This, Batman!"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts