Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I seemed to have run into an issue regarding the coil spring and removing the upper control arm on my '68. Can I use a macpherson spring compressor to pull up the bottom coil?

·
Administrator
19,425 Posts
If you're after getting the upper arm off, I'd say at this point to let off the spring compressor and the spring should relax on out of there. Might need a little wiggle help at the bottom but I believe it will come out. Keep your picture so you have a reference. I think you need to grab a bit lower on the spring when you go to put it back in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. Should I completely decompress the spring after tanking the arm and then reinstall it?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would never leave the spring compressed after you take it off. Too much potential energy in there. Also, that spring should just pull out from the bottom. Is the upper part of the compressor attached to a coil or the top of the shock tower? As Woodchuck said, you may have to decompress it as you pulling the lower part out, just be careful. Maybe stand to the side just in case!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're after getting the upper arm off, I'd say at this point to let off the spring compressor and the spring should relax on out of there. Might need a little wiggle help at the bottom but I believe it will come out. Keep your picture so you have a reference. I think you need to grab a bit lower on the spring when you go to put it back in.
Thanks! I backed the spring off a little bit and got the control arm out. the spring ended up shifting and i backed the compressor all the way out...so, the spring is out of the car too. Would my best course of action be to set in the spring and compress and then install the control arm?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would never leave the spring compressed after you take it off. Too much potential energy in there. Also, that spring should just pull out from the bottom. Is the upper part of the compressor attached to a coil or the top of the shock tower? As Woodchuck said, you may have to decompress it as you pulling the lower part out, just be careful. Maybe stand to the side just in case!
Im using the compressor that sits on top of the shock tower.

Thanks, i really hate dealing with the springs! I've done the coil over assembly on my '96 Thunderbird and put in Konis about 15 years ago....physics doesnt care!

·
Administrator
19,425 Posts
I don't like working with springs being held compressed so I would do everything I could without the spring (compressed) in the way. The idea getting it all ready to go as much as possible and doing the spring almost last so as to be actually working with the compressed spring as little as possible. The warnings about springs aren't kidding. If/when one comes loose they tend to do it very suddenly and cause grievous bodily harm to any body parts in their vicinity.
All that said, seen like you need to rotate that compressor down about half a turn more and you should be able to have a bit more room.
Have you thought about doing the Arning Drop while you're in there? Besides its other nice handling benefits, it drops the A-arm down a bit which makes it easier to reinstall front springs. Win-win!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I personally would put everything back together saving the springs and the shock absorber for last. Last time I messed with springs I used a spring compressor that had positive control of the spring coils and couldn't slip off if something shifted when handling the compressed spring. The compressor in the picture is the only type I trust. You can see in that the coils are securely fastened to the spring compressor. I would still relieve the tension off the spring once I pulled it out and compress it only right before I was ready to reinstall it.

I practice the safe method now. However, when I was much younger, I have removed the shock, jacked up the car, broke the upper control arm free of the spindle, unbolted the bolts on holding the UCA to the shock tower, tied a long rope around the UCA and spring get s good distance away, and give it a good yank or several until it came free. I didn't think about collateral damage to the car doing this way but never had a problem back then.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You can stand at the side and use a really long pair of pliers, tongs, or worst case a piece of wood to move it. Be safe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't like working with springs being held compressed so I would do everything I could without the spring (compressed) in the way. The idea getting it all ready to go as much as possible and doing the spring almost last so as to be actually working with the compressed spring as little as possible. The warnings about springs aren't kidding. If/when one comes loose they tend to do it very suddenly and cause grievous bodily harm to any body parts in their vicinity.
All that said, seen like you need to rotate that compressor down about half a turn more and you should be able to have a bit more room.
Have you thought about doing the Arning Drop while you're in there? Besides its other nice handling benefits, it drops the A-arm down a bit which makes it easier to reinstall front springs. Win-win!
I considered the Arning Drop....had a friend offer the kit and told him I would give him the cash and never heard from him after that. Whatever.

Anyhow, I am using the OEM 27035 compressor. So, I think that to recompress the spring, going to the lowest possible coils to compress would be my best bet? Also, the final coil end aligns with the spring perch tab, right?

I did have to fight with the old arm to get it out, one frame side bolt was freewheeling and the other side bushing shifted far to the left.

·
Registered
33,886 Posts
I considered the Arning Drop....had a friend offer the kit and told him I would give him the cash and never heard from him after that. Whatever.

Anyhow, I am using the OEM 27035 compressor. So, I think that to recompress the spring, going to the lowest possible coils to compress would be my best bet? Also, the final coil end aligns with the spring perch tab, right?

I did have to fight with the old arm to get it out, one frame side bolt was freewheeling and the other side bushing shifted far to the left.
One of my least favorite jobs... yes, I'd use your spring compressor to reinstall the spring.... I've been known to use some small muffler clamps looped over hooks and around the coils as a "safety mechanism" to prevent the hooks from slipping.... even with the hooks where you show in the photo you should be able to compress enough to pop the spring back in... with the coils almost touching each other. A bit of very slippery lube on the compressors threads will help it turn easier.

PS: While you have the control arm out don't forget to put some 90* grease fittings on the shaft ends.

·
Administrator
19,425 Posts

Kit? You must be think of something else. The Arning (Shelby) Drop is merely two holes drilled on each side of the car the allow you to lower the upper control arms a bit for improved handling. You need a template (I just printed mine on paper from a PDF) and a drill bit. And a drill.

And the second part sounds like a plan. The main thing is to be careful. They don't make a spring compressor I trust. I made my own out of heavy overkill materials and I don't actually "trust" it either. You'd have to see one of these springs in action to appreciate the power and violence. I once used a (VERY long) prybar to pop out a coil spring in a junkyard. I kid you not, it careened off eight cars before stopping in a bush. I was in a hurry that day. Guy I was with ran back to the office and declined to be present when I popped the second one out. Didn't really blame him.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kit? You must be think of something else. The Arning (Shelby) Drop is merely two holes drilled on each side of the car the allow you to lower the upper control arms a bit for improved handling. You need a template (I just printed mine on paper from a PDF) and a drill bit. And a drill.

And the second part sounds like a plan. The main thing is to be careful. They don't make a spring compressor I trust. I made my own out of heavy overkill materials and I don't actually "trust" it either. You'd have to see one of these springs in action to appreciate the power and violence. I once used a (VERY long) prybar to pop out a coil spring in a junkyard. I kid you not, it careened off eight cars before stopping in a bush. I was in a hurry that day. Guy I was with ran back to the office and declined to be present when I popped the second one out. Didn't really blame him.
He told me that he had the arms and the metal template. I am just going to run the control arms as is and enjoy the car. It hasnt gotten much road time lately and the upcoming lack of oppressive south florida heat is almost upon me :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would definitely do the arning drop while you have the control arms out. Best mod you can do for the money!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Screw it! Im doing the arning drop! I've been fighting with the spring for an hour! I think I will email Dazecars for the spring compressor that bolts to the perch.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts