Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m adding the drake metal gt350 hood scoop to the stock hood on my ‘66 Coupe. I am trying to figure out how/where to cut the hole in the hood and if there are any potential issues I should be aware of. My body man is concerned about whistling or other noises that might happen if we cut the hole... he thinks we should weld the scoop on and not cut a hole.

1. Anyone have experience doing this? Did you get any whistling or other noises?

2. Can anyone provide info regarding the proper location, dimensions, and shape of the hole?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why do you want to install the scoop? If your body guy doesn't think a hole is needed, you must not need it because of air cleaner clearance issues. If so you just want it for looks.

The worst thing I ever did to my '66 was to cut a hole in the original hood and put a scoop on it. Once you cut the hole, it will be there forever. I kept the center when I cut mine and later on removed the scoop and tried to repair the hole using the center and fiberglass (I don't weld). The paint eventually cracked at the joint between the center and rest of the hood. I've been told it would do the same thing even if it had been welded.

If you really do want the scoop, hopefully the one you have has mounting bolts (mine did) and you can just drill a few small holes and mount it with the bolts. It could be easily removed and the holes patched if you change your mind later. My paint has not cracked where the patched holes are.

I wouldn't worry much about noises if you cut the hole. But it does add an entry point for water, which may or may not be an issue.

I wouldn't weld the scoop on. It's overkill and makes the hood much more difficult to remove.

·
Premium Member
13,354 Posts
1. Anyone have experience doing this? Did you get any whistling or other noises?

2. Can anyone provide info regarding the proper location, dimensions, and shape of the hole?

The Shelby scoop actually "scoops" very little air. I remember an article in a car magazine many years ago where they tested several different styles of scoops. They found that there is a layer of "dead" air right on top of the hood and the Shelby and Mach 1 scoops are in that layer of dead air so nothing goes in them. The most effective scoops were those like the aft facing "Cowl Induction" scoops used on chebbies in the late 60's where the opening into the scoop is in the area of high air pressure at the base of the windshield.
So basically you are wasting your time cutting a hole under a Shelby scoop.

As far as whistling noise- if you have the proper loud exhaust you will never hear any!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts