Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of fixing up my lighting system and have done everything except my backup lights and my turn signal indicator lights. I bought a set of instrument bulbs and instrument light sockets and hooked them to the green/white and white/blue wires coming from the turn signal switch. There are another pair of green/white and white/blue wires which go to the front turn signal lights and which work. So I'm surprised my indicator lights aren't working since both the indicator lights and front turn signal lights should be powered from the same source. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
I'm in the process of fixing up my lighting system and have done everything except my backup lights and my turn signal indicator lights. I bought a set of instrument bulbs and instrument light sockets and hooked them to the green/white and white/blue wires coming from the turn signal switch. There are another pair of green/white and white/blue wires which go to the front turn signal lights and which work. So I'm surprised my indicator lights aren't working since both the indicator lights and front turn signal lights should be powered from the same source. Any suggestions?
Do you have the instrument cluster properly grounded?

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the other lights on the instrument cluster work so I would assume it's properly grounded

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm attaching a link to the lights I bought.

I never had turn signal indicator lights before but the wires were there. All my dash lights are working except for the two turn signal indicator lights which I just connected.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Do you have a test light or voltmeter? I'd check for "blinking" power at the center contact in the bulb socket with the appropriate turn signal switched "on". If you don't have any then it'd be time to start tracing the wires back to when they (should) splice into the front turn signal circuits.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for that advice. The bulb sockets are also brand new, so I don't think they're the problem. It must be an issue at the point where they splice from the front turn signals, which are both working fine.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Is there a diagram of what the inside of the harness that comes from the turn signal switch should look like? Thats where the wires splice.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
$5 for two 1895 lamps.

RockAuto sells them for 23 cents each, minimum order of 10, so for $4.60 you get 20 of them. These are the Wagner 3.78 watt lamps.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$5 for two 1895 lamps.

RockAuto sells them for 23 cents each, minimum order of 10, so for $4.60 you get 20 of them. These are the Wagner 3.78 watt lamps.
I wish I knew about Rock Auto 8 months ago...

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a special connector I need to connect the light socket to the green/white wire for the left turn signal light indicator? (Pictured)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Go buy yourself some spade connectors from any auto store. You need a female connector to attach that. But that wire is pretty low down in the dash. Are you trying to hook that black wire up to that wire with the male connector? The green/white wire you attach the bulb socket to should be right behind the instruments.

If that green/white wire in your picture comes off the steering column plug, it should be attached to another green/white wire right there in the harness and then go up to just behind the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry the pic wasn't clear. No, not trying to hook the black wire to the wire with the male connector. Tried to hook the black wire to the green/white (the end is covered with black tape in pic). That's the 2nd green/white wire which comes out of the harness. The other goes to the front left blinker light). It could be that the wire going up to behind the instrument panel was snipped. I know thats the correct wire. Just wasn't sure if I could connect both wires together or need a special connector between wires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts