Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was living in the era BC (Before Covid)

Went to an automotive Swap meettoday, saw a couple, very few, masks, got caught in traffic on the way home, and then went out for dinner at a sit down restaurant.

It felt

Normal

BTW Texas

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
I was living in the era BC (Before Covid)

Went to an automotive Swap meettoday, saw a couple, very few, masks, got caught in traffic on the way home, and then went out for dinner at a sit down restaurant.

It felt

Normal

BTW Texas
Yep. Texas is getting it right, despite of the inflated infection numbers due to more testing. nobody mentions how all the hospital beds are empty here.

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
I haven't been to a swap meet since my BC years... BEFORE CHILDREN.

For a while I lived in AD... ALL in DAYCARE.

Now about the only kind of swap meet I go to is when I go home, meet whoever is there for a few minutes and swap clothes for a different kind of work.
I have a little vacation / stay-cation in the works at the end of this month that includes some little projects and detailing MyFirstCar for its photography and wedding debut for my niece and her squeeze to use as the "getaway car" after the wedding. He's supposed to just drive it around the front of the venue for looks... I'm gonna need meds for somebody else driving my car 100 feet.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Best auto swap on the planet. They have it every other month. Hopefully August will see the return.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,582 Posts
Yep. Texas is getting it right, despite of the inflated infection numbers due to more testing. nobody mentions how all the hospital beds are empty here.
Ehhh, not so much - hospitalization rates have spiked a lot in the past week. Still not in a critical place, but Austin has seen a doubling in hospitalizations within the past 7-day period which is very worrying. "Only" 50% of ICU beds filled with covid patients currently though. Houston has 80% of their ICU beds filled and I've heard Dallas is not so hot right now either. I think (but hope not) that we will all be wishing we were a little more cautious as numbers continue to rise in the next few weeks.

I went out for a burger with a friend the other night. First friend I've hung out with in a few months, and first time I've been out and stayed out (instead of doing takeout). It was bizarre how normal everything felt (with the exception of the distantly-placed tables and the server disinfecting the table before and after we were there). Definitely a nice little respite but for now I prefer to keep doing takeout as Texas numbers stabilize (or don't).

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Best auto swap on the planet. They have it every other month. Hopefully August will see the return.
I measured the walking length of the Pamona swap meet, If every isle is viewed, it's 7 miles. I used to attend almost all of them when I lived on the Left coast. I remember a guy had a Ford Cosworth Indy long block there. I asked him how much. He said if I had to ask, I couldn't afford it.

Reactions: vegasloki

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Total Positive Cases in Bowie County228
Bowie County Patients Hospitalized locally7
Bowie County Active Cases at Home/Quarantine106
Bowie County Patients Recovered100
COVID-19 Deaths in Bowie County15

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
So my first autocross was 2 days last weekend in Fort Wayne IN. For the first time in months I found myself shaking hands and walking the course close to friends with no mask. Now Indiana's numbers, at the end of the week, are going way up. Autocross in South Bend tomorrow, all my friends will be there, and I will be wearing a mask when around them. I have asthma and am responsible for the care of my 86 year old mother. We live in a free-ish country and if you think the virus thing is a scam that's fine. My eldest son works at a hospital in Lake County Indiana, with the second highest mortality rate in the state. The bodies going out the back door are real.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
It will hit everyone eventually. If you live in an area not infected YET. Don't think your area can't get the virus.
Michigan has been hit hard by this virus.
We have been around a 9% death rate since the beginning. It is not just old people dying either.
This is real. Coming to a theater near you soon.

Michigan
Confirmed
+211
Recovered
Deaths
+5
United States
Confirmed
2.29M
+30,927
Recovered
Deaths
+682
Worldwide
Confirmed
8.75M
+142K
Recovered
4.32M
Deaths
+

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Total Positive Cases in Bowie County228
Bowie County Patients Hospitalized locally7
Bowie County Active Cases at Home/Quarantine106
Bowie County Patients Recovered100
COVID-19 Deaths in Bowie County15

Do you realize how small of a percentage of the population that is? People are done watching the country fold up, and that’s a good thing. We ruined more lives than we saved, and it’s very much time to keep the economic recovery going. 228 cases and 7 hospitalizations. This is not a death sentence for the very very very very very large majority. We can’t destroy ourselves any farther to help the fraction of 1%.loke I said, Texas is getting back in its feet and is getting it right.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Went to an honest to goodness car show yesterday. First one all year. Was a nice little cruise and the rebuilt power steering system is fabulous (thanks Chock). And a Ford dealer east of here is having a Ford only show on Sat. So things are getting back to normal.
Statewide IL is at or below 5% positive cases. The county I live in has been around 2%. We get to have limited indoor dining and other stuff starting on Fri.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Do you realize how small of a percentage of the population that is? People are done watching the country fold up, and that’s a good thing. We ruined more lives than we saved, and it’s very much time to keep the economic recovery going. 228 cases and 7 hospitalizations. This is not a death sentence for the very very very very very large majority. We can’t destroy ourselves any farther to help the fraction of 1%.loke I said, Texas is getting back in its feet and is getting it right.
Outside car shows are one of the safest things you can do now for those that want to go out. Like anything else you need to take precautions. Go out and drive, enjoy the summer and use common sense. This isn’t going to be over for a while and contrary to what some have said it’s not “fading away”. It’s deadly. Statistically you have a 1 in 20 chance of dying if you get it. The numbers posted from Bowie County show a 1 in 15 chance or so (228 cases/15 deaths). The 1918 flu was 1 in 10.

The shutdowns were so the hospitals didn’t get overrun. It wasn’t to stop the spread. AL and AZ are having hospital capacity issues right now. Other areas abated and others weren’t hit that hard mostly due to population density or early shutdown orders.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Outside car shows are one of the safest things you can do now for those that want to go out. Like anything else you need to take precautions. Go out and drive, enjoy the summer and use common sense. This isn’t going to be over for a while and contrary to what some have said it’s not “fading away”. It’s deadly. Statistically you have a 1 in 20 chance of dying if you get it. The numbers posted from Bowie County show a 1 in 15 chance or so (228 cases/15 deaths). The 1918 flu was 1 in 10.

The shutdowns were so the hospitals didn’t get overrun. It wasn’t to stop the spread. AL and AZ are having hospital capacity issues right now. Other areas abated and others weren’t hit that hard mostly due to population density or early shutdown orders.
Over 36 million unemployed. 36 million to save a fraction of a percent. Even the WHO has came out and admitted the initial death rate claims were off. There is nothing in this world that you will ever say to convince me, and millions of other Americans (if you don’t believe me, just go somewhere and observe all the people), that any of this will be worth the consequences. Don’t worry. Phase 2 of a certain group of people determined to elect a new president, regardless of the cost of what it does to the people of this country, plan is now winding down. Phase 3 will begin shortly......

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Both you and him have an agenda.
My agenda is go to your local car show outside or swap or whatever and if you’re not in a risk group, distance a bit, mask (more so you don’t spew on the other guy), wash your hands, don’t fondle your face you’ll probably be OK. If you‘re inside it can be a bit sketchier if you’re going to pack on in to tight places and touch and breathe on each other you could get sick. Go drive your car. Do what you can. This is going to be around for a while.

Seriously. Go out and do what you can.

My other agenda is long division, multiplication, probability and fractions
19:34, 22 Jun 2020 from Johns Hopkins...
Divide 120,393 by 2,310,768 and it equals 0.0521008599738269
Multiply 0.0521008599738269 by 100 and we get 5.2% rounded
At 5% thats 5 /100 which reduces to 1/20 as in a 1 in 20 chance statistically.

I realize the irony of me posting the following pic ol’ Mustanger Bob has a good idea about getting out and enjoying what you can.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
My agenda is go to your local car show outside or swap or whatever and if you’re not in a risk group, distance a bit, mask (more so you don’t spew on the other guy), wash your hands, don’t fondle your face you’ll probably be OK. If you‘re inside it can be a bit sketchier if you’re going to pack on in to tight places and touch and breathe on each other you could get sick. Go drive your car. Do what you can. This is going to be around for a while.

Seriously. Go out and do what you can.

My other agenda is long division, multiplication, probability and fractions
19:34, 22 Jun 2020 from Johns Hopkins...
Divide 120,393 by 2,310,768 and it equals 0.0521008599738269
Multiply 0.0521008599738269 by 100 and we get 5.2% rounded
At 5% thats 5 /100 which reduces to 1/20 as in a 1 in 20 chance statistically.

I realize the irony of me posting the following pic ol’ Mustanger Bob has a good idea about getting out and enjoying what you can.
Not much for the math or science I see...
Not much for real numbers I see. 328.2 million people in America , with a little over 19,000 deaths. This is not a death sentence. What’s Happening to the economy is far worse. I fully understand that you have a overinflated since of self worth, but you have to get over yourself for 5 minutes. Break that down further into people with pre existing conditions, and healthy people should have been working the whole time. 36,000,000 unemployed. Destroyed economy, but I get it. You’re on the side of destroying the country for upcoming politics. That’s apparent. I’m for people keep the country strong, which exactly the opposite of what’s happening. It’s just the way it is.

Nobody likes death, but it’s a fact of life. I lost my grandmother in the middle of this mess, and it’s a bad deal, but you can’t protect everyone. That’s the reality. Almost 3300 people die in car wrecks every day, so maybe you should stop driving. Protecting the majority involves protecting our economy. Playing politics involves catering to the minority and destroying the country.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.