Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After pulling the engine 8 months ago, I finally got the chance to start her up on Saturday. I was concerned about how hard the motor was to turn over by hand, but when I turned the key, she fired right up. Had only a couple minor issues to contend with (one coolant leak, and one fuel leak). As we let the engine run for the cam break-in, I got a full 20 minutes to enjoy the sweet smell of a freshly rebuilt engine running at 2000rpms. Does anything smell sweeter?

Only one other gremlin I have to chase down, and that appears to be a vapor lock issue (hard starting after engine is warm, feels like a miss at about 35mph). I can see gas percolating in the glass fuel filter, so I'm probably going to be re-routing my fuel line (rubber hose).

Thanks for all of the help and advice from my fellow VMFers. I truly believe you folks made this rebuild go a heckuva lot easier than it could've gone if I didn't have the VMF here as a resource.

I'll be posting engine pics soon...

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Efforts to reduce vapor lock can be a good thing...

Understand that hard hot starting can be caused by improper initial timing, rich idle mixture, and idle speed too high.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You are my insperation, for the moment :D

I pulled mine out on wednesday

·
Registered
607 Posts
Mine goes back in tomorrow AM and will fire up by the afternoon. Fast, considering I just reringed yesterday. Ready to smell that smell and be on the road again after 2 -3 down weeks following distributor gear suicide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts