Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... when the PO detonated the coupes 390 and it resulted in this.

Hard to see, but the rod on the upper left is twisted near 90 degrees. Sad thing is the pistons, cam and lifters show little wear so it looks like it was a pretty new engine when it let go.... now its all scrap....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
WOW! FE carnage :shocked:

Any idea what went wrong?

Oiling problems were common on FEs.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thought is the timing chain went, the engine revved to a bazillion-and-three, and it all came apart... very fast.

Amazing how much force was there, one rod was snapped in two, those other 3 bent as shown. Cam in 4 pieces, one lifter shattered.

C7AE-B rods as well, not the lighter ones that were sometimes used...

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
A little bit of the "putty" Billy Mays sells on the tv and it should be good to go.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
flysure2 said:
A little bit of the "putty" Billy Mays sells on the tv and it should be good to go.
Naaa...put a little JB weld on it and it will be good as new.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You have some great paper weights there.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
That's pretty cool to see the evidence of the power of the engine. Too bad you are not closer. I've got a complete 67 390.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
duct tape.
R

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I really doubt a timing chain letting go caused that. When you loose a timing chain your engine starts slowing down not speed up. My guess is a rod let go or broken rod bolt. Trust me I have taken many engines that look like yours apart and they usually caused by the rods.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have some great paper weights there.
Nah, that's what I'm saving the block for...! The timing chain was snapped as well, thus the thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts