Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 66 convertible up on the lift yesterday to change oil, fit new p/s hoses and give it a general greasing.
To my horror, when I moved the front wheels to get access to the grease nipples on the drivers side, the d/s upper ball joint just popped out! How maniac is this, I hadn't had any symptoms or felt any play, but the thing just popped out. Imagine if I had been going round a corner a bit fast?

One more angst to add to my steering phobia, oh boy.

Jeremy

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
That is horrible. You are indeed luck that it did not happen on the road.

If all of the rest of the front end is of the same age as that balljoint I would suggest following BillGear's thinking and replace all of the balljoints. I'd even take it a step further and replace tie-rod ends and bushings, just to be safe.

A front end "Kit" from Canadian Mustang or Mustangs Plus would be a good idea at this juncture, IMHO.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Lucky you! I had the passenger side give out while I was taking a corner! Luckily the wheel didn't totally flip so I was able to pull over quickly without damaging anything else. The tow truck driver just kept saying how lucky I was...

Definitely time to change out all your other ball joints. When I did, I found that they were all pretty much shot and it was just a matter of time before I had a real accident.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
i looked at my steering, hanlilng, suspension parts and all i saw was deep rust - no visual inspection could ever confirm how safe this was so i opted for Canadian Mustang "Big Kit" and feel qukite comfortable now.

·
Registered
645 Posts
geez, that's scary...

I know what you mean about being a little paranoid.. these suspensions have been around many moons... never know what little surprises are in store for you. Best to replace and hope there aren't any other weak links.

Glad we didn't lose ya

1 - 7 of 7 Posts