Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it happened last night when i was getting gas. I didnt touch anything, i didnt un-hook anything at all. I was just driving, and then stopped at a red light. And suddenly the car just dies. Ok... i thought. So i just put it in park and it starts right back up, no problem. I pull into the gas station 50 feet away, and it dies again. Now im thinking "what the hell?" My idle was set about 800 (auto trans) and the car was running perfectly before. So i try driving it without the lights on, and it seems to do fine. Now i start it up today, and it runs perfect in park, but once you throw it into drive it just dies. If you actually get the car moving, its accelorating and sputtering the whole time, and dies at an idle. Like i said before, i hadnt even opened the hood and the car suddenly changed... what could cause this? I tried cleaning out the fuel filter, and nothing changed. Im confused... what could cause a sudden change like that???? ::

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Sounds like your alt might not be putting out juice to keep the car running and it is running off the battery. When you get it started check the voltage at the battery to make sure the alt is charging the system

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well see, thats what i was thinking, but then the car starts right back up, no problem. The battery doesnt even seem low when i start it again after it has died. Also, the alternator is new, and so is the voltage regulator. ::

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
New means little.......I'd try getting the battery fully charged, and see how she runs.

Beyond that, maybe the strainer in the tank has collapsed.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Sounds like your not getting gas. The fuel pump may be
developing a hole in it. Undo the gas line from the carb.
put a hose on it and get a container you can see through
and put the hose in it. Crank the motor and see how much
gas comes out. Be very safe doing this. Do it to a cold motor.
There should be a lot of gas come out in spurts. It could be
a piece of rubber stuck in your fuel line. Take the line off the
tank while the line from the front is off, and blow air through it.
Be carefull again, catch the gas that will come out. The fuel
sender may be cloged. You can blow air through that too with
the gas cap off. Hot wire it, and that will tell you if the wiring is
messed up. Then it's hide and seek. It could be the coil.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Check the coil. I had a car that did the same thing and it was the coil breaking down at high temperature.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, what do ya know... you were right ::. I changed out my coil and the car runs great. But i wonder why a new coil went bad? Oh well... atleast i had a spare.

·
Registered
921 Posts
check your coil connections and the coil itself. same thing happened on my '82 bronco.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts