Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I doubles checked and took my time and found TDC dropped the Dizzy in and it started on the first crank. Ran quite well . Have a few issues I'll list out to see what you think.
1. After about 20 min of running fuel in the fuel filter dropped to a trickle. Its clear and I could see it trickling in one side and trickling out the other. Is this normal?? Was full at start up. Still runs fine but the float levels seem a bit lower after it runs a few minutes, just below the line. I thing I may have some crud in the fuel tank even though I cleaned it out and changed the tank filter. Should I pull the sender and check? I have about 5 gallons of gas.
2. In dash tach (70 mach 1) runs up great to 2K then it stops like its pinned. Engine of course spins well past that. Any way of testing a tach?
3. will have to do some fiddling with the idle mixture screws (750 Speed demon) but not untill I get the fuel issue fixed.
All and all a good day. Lets hope tomorrow goes as well.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey Buddy: Glad to hear you got it running...As long as the engine keeps running OK, I wouldn't worry about the fuel trickling in and out the fuel filter. I had the same thing happen on my old 302. Had a clear glass fuel filter, and fuel just trickled in and out. But, engine ran great. I have heard that the glass filters have been known to have an air leak, causing problems, but haven't had that problem.....
I ave the 750 Double pumper Demon on the 460, and it works great. I really like the carb.It seems to adjust just like the Holleys....

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
could you temporarly install a fuel pressure gage? Is the tach hooked to the positive side of the coil.I wouldn't think of adjusting the idle mixture screws untill you have the float level set and stable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts