Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed out my water pump today. Got all the way done went to start her up and she starts out just fine. Then all of a sudden she stops as if she is out of fuel. I check the guage its on E but that normally means there is 2 gallons left (I've measured it!). I pulled the fuel filter, it was a little dirty changed it out nothing. I pulled the fuel pump and took it too the bench. I could siphon fuel from a cup and spit it across the garage with the it. Took some muscle to get the arm to move but it felt strong and looked like it was doing its job. I reinstalled the pump and put all the incoming lines back on and hooked up the output but set it on the driveway. I expect to see it shooting across the driveway but it didn't. Barely even a dripple. What the heck could have gone wrong? I would appreciate any suggestions. I am very concerned its internal but I thought the pump was driven by the cam. While priming it it runs for a second or two. I certainly wouldn't get that if I broke a timing belt would I? Beside how could I break a timing chain by removing and replacing the water pump. None of this makes sense and I am frustrated!!! HELP!!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Added two gallons of fuel. Gauge is reading almost to 1/4 mark now. I primed the carb and its not the fuel pump isn't throwing anything out. I figured it would at least give up something. Is it possible that the pump while able to work under muscle power isn't working when installed? I checked the manual it talked about the eccentric being worn but all of a sudden like that doesn't make sense. I doubt that tightening a water pump bolt could have frozen the eccentric. I'm stumped.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
This totally normal , I changed the water pump and now the Alternator has gone south and the P/S pumps squeals like a woman being asked to pay for dinner.

Go figure ??

·
Premium Member
19,247 Posts
Ahhh...my first doofus on a car! I replaced my water pump on my 65 GT Coupe back in 1978. Ran for about 1.5 miles, and died. Replaced two fuel pumps, same thing. Had it towed to the Ford Dealer, and the mechanic called me on the phone, asking "Did you replace the water pump lately?"
"Yes! How did you know?"
"The bolts are different lengths, and you put a long one in where the fuel pump goes, and it interferes with the fuel pump lever. Come pick up your car."

Exactly your symptoms, MSG. I warned you about this last night in the chatroom!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
OK smarty pants , explain the alt and the P/S pump ????

BTW the book is a pearler !! *G*

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
HA! I'd have never thought of that! That could really screw with your head.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just as Midlife stated, it's got to be that lower bolt that's holding up the arm of the fuel pump. Did the same thing a few years back. Drove me nuts. My car went one step further and actully broke the pump arms rather than just stopping them. Take out that lower left (driver's side) bolt and try starting it again.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At least to that lower water pump bolt! 1/4 too long and its a Noooo Go! Luckily I found a short leftover on the workbench from a previous project. Slapped it on and it starts right up now just as it should. No leaks yet, but there are a few casualties. Two ratchets bit the dust, one is worn out and the other during a fit of frustration flung itself down to the heavy concrete driveway, spilling its guts. Looks like I will have to look into replacing the rubber hose fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb with the line it's suppose to have. One too many cuts make it just a tad to short for my comfort zone.

Gone are the ugly flex hoses that never quite looked right and the rust covered pulley. Actually looks pretty nice now just have to see if it all functions as designed. That will mean a trip to town on a cell phone that the battery was run down on during all the phone calls to find the right pump.

There is a reason I only replace that water pump every twenty years! I just forgot it in my old age.

Mid, thanks so much. I remember our conversation in chat. I bought all brand new same size bolts. With the one exception of a bolt that was in very sad shape and actually looked like it had broken off. I got the next size up from that broken bolt. Never thought it would make such a difference. Thanks again to everyone that replied.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Don't feel too bad! My friend has a sharp looking '67 A-code fb. He headed up I35 for a car show about 70 miles away. Seven miles short of destination, the upper radiator hose blew and spewed antifreeze all over his nicely detailed engine compartment. Sad part was he bought a upper radiator hose a week earlier but was so busy getting the car ready for the show, he put off replacing the hose. After a tow to the hotel several club members assisted with the repair but damage to engine compartment paint was impossible to fix before the show. The judge had mercy on him and the one good thing, he still received a "first" for his very nice car.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Midlife to the rescuue again....

Glad to see that nice car is runing again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts