Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys sorry for missing last week my wife's Mom passed away last weekend so I obviously wan't around. Her mom lost a long battle with a brain tumor. Finally she is free of the pain and is in a better place.

On to the poll. Lastt inme I asked what type of SWMBO we had.
Most here will support our Mustang craziness as long as we give them a little attention.

This week's question.

Who was it that influenced you on your Mustang Purchase or has given you the strength to keep going on your Mustang project when it seemed to have no end.

Mine.

My Dad to both parts of the question. When I bought the car Dad gave the OK on it's condition and because it was my Driver for a long time He was the one to encourageme to keep it going through all the break-downs and fenderbenders. the two of us kept bringing this Mustang back from the dead. So when it came to restoring it, it was a no brainer. I knew this car inside and out thanks to my Dad.

Don

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
My dad definitely for the purchase, since he bought me both of my Mustangs, and also for the encouragement once I really got in the hobby. Then I have several friends, especially Chuck. who is teaching me a great deal as we restore and redesign my fastback.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
No one influenced me to buy the stang. I always liked the body style of the 69/70 fastback and had the bucks to buy one. As for encouragement - the encouragement (which has been necessary) has come from this forum. My Mom says dump the car in the ocean! Some encouragement has come from my son, since he worked on it with me for a couple of months. Most has come from the forum - JohnPro, Mr. Gem, Midlife, Laurie S, CAmachinist, SacBill, Teebone, to name a few.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
First and foremost, sincerest condoleances to you and your wife and your families.

My influence....i just always loved all mustang, I just drive myself to do it even in the dark period

Daniel

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
My mom had a 67 coupe when I was an impressionable teenager. She loved the car, so did I. Unfortunately, it died an untimely, horrible, firey death. So I had unrequited love. Still trying to catch it.
Now, my hubby Mike and I fuel (fool) each other's passion. We keep each other going in the hobby. Sometimes for love, sometimes for spite. Mostly for fun.
He has loved stangs since his older had a 66 coupe that their dad bought when the brother really wanted a GTO. Mike always loved the car more than the brother that owned it.

So now we have "yours, mine, ours and theirs (the kids)."

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have always loved the mustang. From 85 till just a couple months ago I had always owned the late models(85 GT, 90GT), and still do(93 GT vert), but then I finally realized my dream and bought a 66 fastback. As far as encouragement goes, it was watching my buddy restore his 68 fastback that intisified the fever to the point that I finally had to get my own.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Im sorry to hear about your mother in law, but agree that she is pain-free and in a better place.

As for the Mustangs, well, SWMBO has had her 67 coupe since she was 16 years old (bought it in 1970) so I suppose it was her who "pushed" me into the mustang hobby/business. Now, as for the REAL vintage iron ('34 and earlier) thats all my doing.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I bought it then wondered what the HELL I was gonna do with it. Then I found NPD 40 miles away & the project was on!!! Haven't looked back since!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My daughter. She was the one that found the 69 and since it was so much fun I bought a 00 GT. Now she is pushing me to finish the bodywork and painting of the 69 so she can drive it again.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sorry about your mom. The answer to the poll is my dad. I can still remember the first black 351W 69 mach he restored when I was five. Apparently mom drove a 72 coupe when I was born, I hear lots of stories of her spinning it on a wet road but have never seen pictures of it. I have seen pics of the first Mach and clearly remember all of them after all the way to the current resto project a 69 CJ.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I rescued my first one from a buy-here pay-here, it just caught the corner of my eye as I was driving by. I had never even had much interest in Mustangs or any classic car for that matter. There was just something about it, I just had to have it. IIRC I was 19 at the time, and had to get my sister and brother-in-law to help me get the $2500.00 loan, my B-in-law talked the dealer down from $2395.00 to $1800.00. The extra amount on the loan was for new tires, and pocket change.

Me and SWMBO with the "first one" June 1, 1992, the day I left for Basic Training:
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jevarn/images/OldMustang1.jpg

About a year later we had our first child on the way, for some ungodly reason I thought that the Mustang wouldn't be a good family vehicle (WHAT WAS I THINKING). Anyway, I ended up trading it in, for all things a Chevy Astro??? Kicked myself in the rear just about everyday until we could afford for me to get another, Nov 2001.

So I would have say my first was kind of an impluse buy, my second was to fill the void left from the first. SWMBO does support my "habit" most of the time, she calls it "my other woman" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Who says you can't have two loves in your life??

Jason

·
4,129 Posts
I can really only answer the first part of the survey. The reason that I have a Mustang is because of my Uncle Jim. In 1967 he bought a '67 Mustang that happened to be Vintage Burgandy w/ black vinyl and black interior. It was a dealers demo car, so he got it at the end of the model year when the '68 were coming out. We kept the car for the 2 years while Jim served in the Army (he was lucky and did not go overseas) and that is when I really fell in love with his car. We stored it in the garage and I would sit in it and pretend to drive. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Long story short is that I wanted that Mustang, he sold it to his younger brother (uncle) Jack who then sold it to parts unknown just before I was ready to get a Mustang. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif So I had to paint mine the same color, but I have a 4 speed /forums/images/icons/smile.gif instead of the automatic. fd

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Dad.Mom used to have a '65 Mustang 'Vert.
They had it when they got married.Mom won it in a raffle her family entered.It was silver with red interior.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
My first car was a 64.5 coupe and I always liked the 67 fastbacks (and like most others, the Shelby's) . So when I found a 67 GT350 clone I just had to see it. When I started to waffle whether or not to buy it, SWMBO jumped it and said "We'll take it." What more could you ask for?

Lou

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I would have to say my father, not because he was really into cars but the first new car he ever owned was a 65 coupe, and when it came time to purchase my first car he steered me towards a 67 fastback, he did loan me half the money for the car to boot, and yes I did pay him back.

Mark

·
Registered
182 Posts
first my condolences about your mother inlaw
when I was an eight year old--I snuck in to see a steve mcqueen movie called "bullitt" after that I always said I man I gotta thing for that fastback mustang--(I must confess I was a chevy guy) so a year or so ago one poked up-- my chevy buddies disowned me-threw rocks at my house,yanked my bowtie membership privileges-but I ain`t sorry-they didn`t act like this when I did a mopar!

martha stewart is gonna clean my apartment on a court ordered work-release program

·
Registered
781 Posts
First off, you have my sympathies!!! As for the Mustang, I first got interested about them as a young lad as my neighbor had a 65, then a 70 Mach and his cousin had a 65 2+2 with a Boss 302 in it!!! So my first pony was a 70 hardtop, my second was a 69 Grande and now I have my 70 vert!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
JDiehl
70 76B Convert 351 C4v w/a shaker!!!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'd have to say its me. I got my dad and my brother interested in cars too. If it wasn't for my interest my dad wouldnt' have a 66 coupe and a 66 thunderbird right now. HEHE.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts