Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working this project car for a little over two years now and its nearly finished or is it? The trip to the frame shop for alignment was the supposed last step of this never ending restoration. I need my head examined, rant, rant, rant! I'll trailer it back home this evening and look at what comes next. Its been at a frame shop getting its Pro-Motorsport Vario-Camber kit installed and brakes bled. In retrospect there wasn't a damn thing on this car that didn't need replacing and now I get reports of new problems. The guy at the frame shop did excellent work and so I'm very happy with it however he says, "Did you know that one of your rallye wheels is not the same backspacing as the others?" Sure enough, one of the wheels of the set of four has 1/2" difference in backspacing...I mean, "How can this be? How come I didn't notice this after having this car in my garage with these wheels on it for the better part of a year? How the hell can I get satisfaction from the Mustang parts vendor for a part purchased a year ago? I mean this really pisses me off!" "Okay what else?", I ask. The parking brake doesn't set properly! Damn! Why not? I get the reply, "I dunno!" Okay, I'll see what I can figure out this weekend. My wife is sick of the black hole this car represents and I'm feeling that way myself right now!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
well, i wish that was all i had left to do!
these are probably a couple of quick fixes that were thrown in your way as a final test.
you`ll be on the road before you know it, and all will be forgotten

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I know exactly how you feel because that's where I was with the Mach 1 when I sold it. I saw it this past Sunday at a local show and the new owner reports that he hasn't had to do too much to it (*LOL*) so I guess you want to be careful about getting too discouraged. You may be right at the finish line and not know it yet.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
breathe..........

Those are little probs......soon your goals will achieved!!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got a break today! Things are looking better. The wheel backspacing problem is solved. Apparently some vendors sell the 15x7's in sets of two and provide different backspacing for fronts/rears. This explains why I have two different backspacings in the set. Of course, it was a screw up on the part of the vendor for sending me three of one backspacing and only one of the other. He said, "You're supposed to have shallow backspacing on the back and deep backspacing on the rear for best fender clearance. After looking at my car and all its restomod stuff I decided the deep backspacing was better for me. Fortunately the vendor accepts it as his fault and is making it good. They are sending me another wheel today. All I gotta do is send the other back. Surprize, they trust me!

Cars coming back home tonite and so will figure out what to do with the parking brake handle (broken pawl) on Saturday. With any luck I might get this car back on the road by next week.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
you go man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts