Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I sit down to write these this week, Iam really like a kid waiting for his first trip to Disneyland or fishing trip or ball game or some such Only 7 Days to MINI-NATS and back on track again and great weekend of things all in all and VMF get together etc.

1 So first Question is what gets you jazzed up like this, can be car related or not. (Side note if your a virgin we all know the answer).

2.If rich VMFer say like Dodgestang or KKTell or some such decided your such wonderful person they would sponsor you say $2500 towards your project what would you spend it on?

3. If Midlife invivte you down to annual sheep shearing contest would you go?

4.If Bossman invited you to be first one to christen XTreme when its done would you do that. ( Side note it anint gonna happen but don't always deal with realitieves here on questions of the week.

5 Ok This is a serious one. We all know that our leader Bob has been shouldering much of cost of this forum for years, yea the auctions have helped and some of merchandise etc. IMHO its very frustrating that so many Vendors and full time parts guys use this place and do not donate a penny they just look at it as free space and never give back with information and or donations directly or to auction so we can raise money to stay afloat.

Heres the question, Do you think it would be appropriate to reconize those who do contribute either directly or auctions or such and use some type of level system ie Gold, Platnium, titaninum or some such and those that don't leave them with no recognition? and would it sway your purchases from vendors who surport us VS those who don't or would just come down to best price and who cares what they do or not?

Mark

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
1) Cornfeed!!!
2) EFI! (Sorry, all you guys that we me to install a 5-speed ;) )
3) DEFINITELY!
4) Bossman deserves to christen it, but I'd LOVE to ride shotgun! ::

5) MOST DEFINITELY! I'd like to see the "Title" reflect "Platinum", "Gold", etc.... instead of Newbie, Old Hand, Carpal Tunnel, etc.... Can be done using "Custom Titles" like mine or yours are.
I wouldn't even mind if that system was available to regular forum members - Everybody starts off as (and stays) an Enthusiast. If they choose to donate, have a couple levels of sponsorship, with the top level including a custom title. COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY! Would also eliminate all this "Free Post", "Im not a Newbie anymore" stuff.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
1) I'm still recovering from my jazzing up after buying a house...I didn't sleep a wink the first night there...too excited (and the house is haunted).

2) I would probably get a nice paint job for the car and engine bay. That is something i don't really need yet, but if I had the extra money, I would.

3) NO...not only know...but HEEEEEE!!!!!!! NO... Some things are better left unknown.

4) Yes.

5) I think some level of recognition would be acceptable. I even would mind a banner ad at the top of the main forum page for him to sell or use for supporters.

Slade

·
Registered
792 Posts
1. Driving them, any time
2. Brakes, interior for swmbo's coupe
3. Absolutely
4. Definitely
5. Sounds like a good idea. I don't usually pay much attention to titles, but I also like cloneys idea for regular poster titles.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
1) Having the horse win her event
2) Heads and intake for the FE
3) Will there be drinking involved?
4) Sure why not
5) Nice thought,waste of time, might sway some but people buy based on price and service

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
1. There are two things that get my heart racing, my hands shaking and leave me breathing hard. Tough to decide which is best, but driving the car is one of them.

2. Down payment on that 69 Mach 1 I must have.

3. Baaaaa. Absolutely! As long as he is providing the beer.

4. Ummmm - No. I too will ride shotgun.

5. I'm all for it. I have not bough parts based on price alone, but a number of factors including convenience, speed of delivery and of course quality. I have bought parts from vendors associated with (and big supporters of )VMF and have been happy to do it. I have made donations (via the auctions as well as outright) and will continue to do so because I like this forum and would hate to see it go away. I am appreciative that Bob funds the vast majority of cost and agree that people that are making a buck (or an additional buck) because of this forum should give back. But I also think that if monetary donations were "encouraged", a lot of them would just go away because they have lost their free advertising.

One of the great things about this place is that if you choose, you can lurk behind the scenes and find information that is helful in your hobby. I'll get off my soapbox now.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
1). Scouting REALY BIG AND CHALLENGING WHITE WATER RAPIDS, then getting in my boat and running them. If I'm not shaking before I run, something wrong! But I'm ALWAYS shaking afterward :: it is a TOTAL rush!

2). Rack & Pinion Steering ::

3). Hmmmm that would depend on who's paying for the ticket ;)

4). Define "Christen" ::

5). I think that post counts for those who initiate a classified add should be monitored and that each time a poster reaches a specific count, (Say 50, 100, 150 etc.), they are required to pay a small fee/gratuity. High volume posters could avoid the threshold charges by paying a reduced fee up front (in the form of cash or donations to auctions) in either case, the fee's shouldn't be too high but enough to help them understand the sapce is NOT FREE!. These poster could also be given recognition as you suggested.

Ken

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
1. I get excited about movies, I get stoked weeks in advance for long await releases.

2. If I give myslef 2500 does that mean I now have 5000 for my car?

3. Midlife and sheep....like flies on crap

4. Christen Xtreme? As in drive in, or drive over?

5. IMO, recognizing venders with names like platinum, gold, etc opens up a can of worms. Users (newbies and oldbies) could very easily mistake the flagging of a contributing vendor to mean an approved or VMF recommeded vendor. This in turn would put Bob in the middle of disputes when something goes haywire. For example in recent month we have a few rants about a someone selling and following through on the deal or sending the wrong or damaged item. The buyer ranted, but if this person had been rated with a gold for contributing to the forum, the buyer would automaticaly want to involve the admins of the site to fix his/her problem regardless of the fact that the gold status has nothing to do with the vendors business accume.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
I'll answer two of the questions.

The money: A disc brake conversion (preferably low cost), chrome Edlebrock 454 (?) wheels, and a new top with a glass window.

Vendors (or others) ratings. Yes it would be a good idea and yes it would sway my purchasing habits.

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
1) Power Braking (aka: a stationary burnout). I love doing those things! Rear tires spinning like crazy, smoke everywhere! I did that infront of my garage once, 5 minutes later there was still smoke all over the place! :: :D

2) I'd probably do my interior, change it to black. If I had any cash left over I'd probably get some new wheels too.

3) If he paid, sure why not

4) HELL YEAH! But, if he really wanted to do it, I wouldn't mind riding shot gun either.

5) It sounds like a good idea but there's other factors that should be taken into consideration.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
1. Progress on my car, whatever it is.
2. Beefier tranny and a posi
3. No way baby. ;)
4. If I get to drive. ::
5. That's a fantastic idea. Give them custom titles like "Gold Vendor", or "Gold Member" whatever is most appropriate. ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Skipping down to the final question...I think it's a good idea to recognize financial contributors. I'm a member of another board where there's simply a notation of *donor* underneath the persons handle. That alone has spurred others to contribute because it's then easy to tell who uses without giving back.

·
Registered
310 Posts
1. The first time I fire a new engine.. or sit in a new mustang I just bought..

2. get some much needed body work done..

3. After seeing Midlife Drunk.. Id have to say Definitly!!

4. I'd love to visit the Bosssman and see Xtreme Fire up and blast off for the first time.. He has put soo much time into it.. He WILL be the first to man the wheel.

5. Definitly.. But not just for venders, but everyone who donates funds directly, not by purchasing shirts or auctions or group buys.(not that those are bad). but those who give freely of their money solely to contribute to the VMF should be accnolaged with a different color name.. As for the titles.. I don't pay attention to those anyway.. Lets Make these ppl stand out above and beyond the rest..

·
Registered
395 Posts
1. I get really jazzed up about astronomical events.

2. New engine to replace my tired one.

3. If the airfare and hotel were free ;)

4. Duh

5. Sounds like a good idea, I've seen it done elsewhere. Would these members get extra privilidges?

·
Registered
656 Posts
#1 -- Discovering that I've got a little more Mustang Money hidden away than I thought

#2 -- Stroker kit for the engine block sitting in my garage

#3 -- I don't think so!

#4 -- Would anyone NOT want to??

#5 -- I don't think that I would agree with the rating system of donations, but I would agree with the special color nickname or 'donor' tagline added to their profile. To use the 'donor' tagline would show the vendor truly supports the VMF. Any other tagline, such as gold or silver would suggest a support of the vendor by the VMF. I know I would buy from a vendor supporting the VMF.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
1 Big VMF events jazz me up, like the anual trek to the Knotts show, the anual Hot August Nights cruise (sorry you missed it this year, MyToys), and the upcomming Meet in the Middle Cruise. I'm really burnt out on car shows. I just like to go and BS with friends now.

2. AFR heads for my sportsroof and the balance would be a down payment on the engine rebuild.

3. Of course, as long as Midlife's paying the plain fare!

4. I would love to christen ANYTHING bossman built. I've seen up close and personal his work, and it's outstanding.

5. I've been watching the parts for sale ('69/'70 parts) closely for a while. I can't stand the way all these vendors are using it to promote their sales. They should HAVE to pay something for the space, IMHO. It's really rediculous. If I wanted to buy repro parts from a company, I'd get their catalog. If I'm looking in the "classifieds", I'm looking for original and/or non-reproduced parts that someone is selling. I don't know how you would ever be able to tell the difference between the "average joe" trying to sell a part, or some company trying to get a free ride, but if there's a way, I'd sure love to see the free loaders banned.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
1: Getting ready for a Poker Run with my boat. 28' Velocity with a 570hp 509 Merlin. Running side by side with 100 or more mega HP boats is a RUSH. http://www.pokerrunsamerica.com/

2:Finish up the bodywork on the Clone Vert

3:Yes..."I like to watch"

4:Great Idea. Dogestang's right about ratings and rants.
Too many political problems. Just make 'em pay.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
1. My family enjoying a day with the Mustang as much as I do, ie Car show, parades, etc. :)

2. Another Mustang! ::

3. I would go just to meet Midlife in person! He could have all the sheep to himself. ::
4. Bossman deserves the first ride, but I would like to ride shotgun once he got it "broke in". :D

5. The whole "label thing" makes no difference to me. I support Bob as I am able and thats enough for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts