Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car featured for August in the American Musclecar 2002 calendar by Motorbooks Calendars is my Mustang Pace Car. For the next 31 days, I get to see it over the desk! Yippee!! Don't worry, the wife's picture is in front of it.....

That being said, I'm wondering if the general Mustang community has the same sense of history that I do regarding these early cars. After finishing second in a People's Choice show last weekend to a nice '66 with chrome engine kit, I began to question if others see these early Pace Cars with the same historical significance that I attach to them. Because of their scarcity and the many unique early '64.5 parts it takes to make a concourse correct example, I always regarded these special cars as the Holy Grail of Mustangs. However, the prices for the rare example that occasionally comes up for sale do not show the same reverence. I guess I'm learning that rarity and correctness do not always equal popularity and desire. The Boss 429 was produced in far greater numbers, but it is a greater prize than a Pace Car.

After a previous show disappointment a couple years ago, I decided this car's direction would be more of a quest for historical accuracy rather than a crowd-pleaser. In fact, there's several items on the car that are in direct conflict with MCA rules, but they are correct, and I will be appealing to the MCA to modify their standards. A couple examples are the non-lipped hood and the white vinyl rocker panel covering, both potential point deductions in MCA competition.

I guess I'm not trying to make any specific point; the car will always be special to me, and that's all I ever really wanted.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Don't you know that chrome will always be a winner in a People's Choice show? I do. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm glad you're doing what you are with your Pace Car. They are very special Mustangs and I wish more people were aware of their significance.

List the car's differences from the MCA rules, document them the best you can, and let's see if we can get some changes made. Change is the operative word right now for MCA.....

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
People's Choice is always a goofy game. Often my old 2+2 would win or do well in PC and win over cars that were far better examples of accuracy and craftsmanship. The fastback coupled with a sharp paint job did the trick (oooh... look! shiny!).

How well do you think a 66 Shelby would do in concours condition if someone did one like they came from Shelby: with no skunk stripes? Be a pretty plain jane machine compared to a Shelby with the dealer installed Le Mans stripes, eh?

History? Not many know in the crowd, or care. They just see a car that's attractive/flashy in that particular class and choose it.

Just my $.02 worth.

-bob

G

·
0 Posts
Way to go Steve. I like your attitude. I picked up a 68 coupe that was a local Seattle dealer promotion. Golden Nugget Mustang. It has a 6 cyl. and gets no attention. To heck with em. I love the history and so far have only located 4 out of a total run of 481. I enjoy it as much as my 68 gt fastback and bore the heck out of everyone when I give them the details of this, I think, unique car. Congrats on getting your car in a great Calendar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts