Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the last three days the disc conversion and suspension upgrade for the 65 has been rolling along. Replaced the upper control arms with the SPC units which have the Shelby/Arning drop built in so no drilling holes. Had to grind the ears on the roller perches to clear the welds on the arms. Minor adjustment. Also the bolts for the ball joint were a little short. Using some springs I bought back when Canadian Mustang still existed. One inch drop 620's on the front, 5 leaf mid-eye going on the back. Replaced all the steering linkage. The new adjust sleeves were total crap and damaging the threads on the tie rods so need to figure out where they came from to warn everybody. Disc kit is CSRP parts. Here's the unexpected part; there was no race in one of the snouts. Was no where to be found. I unpacked the disc, installed the rear bearing and seal, put it on the knuckle and greased the... WTH? Pulled it back off. Nope. No race. Mad parts dash. Between that and figuring out the adjusting sleeves were total crap (had to recycle the originals), it was 10pm before I got the wheels back on. And still have the hydraulics to complete tonight. I know I have to 'finish' some lines to get the adjustable prop valve in so I'm ready for that. Just was not expecting the missing race.
Kids, check all your parts before assembly. I figure I'll have 5 evenings in the total swap. New rear axle bearings and associated parts should be on the porch tonight. And I will give a shout out to my neighbor Ricky for helping and letting me use his lift (!), and my wife Vickie for helping last night in installing the steering linkage and the new sway bar. It looks great. Next will be new tires and an alignment. Should be night and day going from handling like a waterbed to being a rocket on rails. Can't wait.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you want a new front race I have some I can send you. IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING when you think it's going to be easy.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
lol
this is why i leave my car alone. kit or no kit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts