Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played hooky this afternoon (with the boss's permission, of course) to go work on my coupe. I figured I would start on the detailing of the rear axle. Well, Chuck had already finished it all! The only thing left was to replace the old nuts and crush washers with the new set from AMK that arrived today. I was, naturally, quite speechless, which is not a typical condition for me. ;) It looks pretty awesome, too, and even better with the new nuts and washers on it. I told him he didn't need to do all that work as I figured I would be tackling it this weekend. He said it would have been too hard for me and since he had all the detailing info, he went to work on it. That's a true friend. ::

BTW, it was interesting to note that the Dearborn assembly workers left off half the crush washers that belonged on the differential. Quality is Job One?

After I put the detailing marks on it on Saturday, I'll post some new photos of all the work. It does look nice. ::

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
BTW, it was interesting to note that the Dearborn assembly workers left off half the crush washers that belonged on the differential.

I've noticed on some cars, the crush washers are only installed below the oil line....

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
You are right about that one Dr. Laurie! A true friend is a precious thing to have and a great blessing indeed! That is interesting about the washers missing. Was that during the "strike" replacement workers someone eluded to a day or so ago? Keep up the pics and posts, I really enjoy following along. It also give me a good measure of confidence to "attempt" my own stuff. ::

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,238 Posts
I'm getting the impression that Chuck enjoys working on your cars as much as or more than you do. What on earth will the poor man do with himself when they are both "finished"?

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to check, but at least two of them were missing from below the oil line. Never had any leaks, however.

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, my coupe was built at the end of the model year on June 3, 1968, which was a Tuesday. No excuses there! ::

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, we have plenty of cars to work on--about nine all together. Our two coupes, my fastback, his 1972 convertible, 1971 Boss, and several Mustangs owned by his family. And, of course, I still need a 68 convertible to have a matched set. Nope, we have plenty to do! ::

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Laurie believe it or not I was gonna guss that your car must have been built on a Monday!!! assembly wokers must have been getting over the hangovers!!! Friday, Sat and Sun were good days for all the watering holes here in the bay area.......I have heard alot of funny stories from my dad and his friends.....all fomoco plant employees at the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts