Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

http://home.houston.rr.com/jonescbjcj/mark_mcilyar/images/roadamerica1.jpg

That's Mark McIlyar running his Camaro at Road America.... he runs in Group 1 with us in CVAR.

We're going racing next weekend. It's the first race of the 2006 CVAR season and we're all getting ready. You can check the full year schedule here.. and you can see all the really neat cars that run in Group 1 here...

I've added a video system to the car so I'm hoping to have some in car video (with sound) to share with you next week. It's kind'a neat... all solid state and no tape or disc as it writes directly to an SD RAM card and produces about 40 minutes of VGA quality video on a 1G card. I'm using this small lipstick camera mounted to the rollbar and have it connected to this AipTek video recorder which is mounted in a Pelican case bolted to the floor. Neat camera, less than $250 for the package and it'll fit in your shirt pocket. It's the smallest I've seen with the "video in" port needed to run a remote camera. So far it's working well on the streets around here,... we'll see what it looks like when the green flag falls. Not high res. for sure, but it looks plenty good on a computer screen. Hopefully someone will come up with some serious space to host the large files (Bob?...)so I can share them (we can do better than Cobra Automotive!)

As for the car, I've made a few "adjustments" in the past few months. For starters, new front springs. We removed the Mustangs Plus "720" front springs purchased years ago and had them checked on a spring dyno.... they measured 540 lbs/in... go figure.... been driving a damn boat! Spoke to Bramlett about it,.. he said he dynoed some years ago and got 580 lbs/in so he wasn't suprised, said the "720" is just a number so BE AWARE when making comparisions. We had a spring company make some custom ones that actually have a bona'fide confirmed rate of XXX lb/in (race secret),... we'll see how they work. Makes me wonder how accurate all the spring rate B.S. you read on the net really is... My car's been handling just fine with those weak springs.

A fuel system upgrade,... last race back in November began to notice a drop in fuel pressure each lap at the very end of the front straightaway at TWS. Pulling 7200-7400 rpm in 4th gear for a sustained period there and the mechanical pump just wasn't cutting it. Remember, we're running Webers that need high volume and low pressure (< 4 psi) and we feel that just isn't where a mechanical pump running through a regulator is happy. There is now an electric Mallory rotary pump with cannister filter mounted out back. Should be the end of the fuel pressure issues.

Went ahead and cut the front valence on the car like the 66' Trans Am coupes. Need to lose the mechanical fan and run without one (more horsepower) but the front valence and bumper were just pushing too much air. Every time I ran the track without the fan the temps climbed beyond normal, this should cure that problem. I like the car with the stock bumper look so that's why no R-model front valence.

If you're in Texas next weekend, come to College Station. We'll be there having test & tune on Friday and racing Saturday and Sunday. We expect about 25 cars in Group 1.

Regards,

Charlie

:biggrin:

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
You Dog! I'm so jealous, it's 7 degress and snow on the ground right now :(

Good luck, have some fun and I can't wait to see the video! I'm sure it won't compare to a ride though :winkgrin:

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
You're just plain big league now Charlie. And, you have Cobb and Jay along with you? Crap, I'll have to keep my head lower than the kings at Hallett this year, eh?

BTW, I could host the files for you no problem. I'll have to teach you how to do efficient encoding and compression on them first though.

Secret spring rates? I don't even know who you are anymore man. :D

-bob

·
Registered
447 Posts
I can't wait to see some of that in-car video!

Regarding Mustang Plus' spring rates.....

I ran across a small section in their catalog (pg 192) that has a breakdown on all of their spring rates for coils and leafs. Here goes:

Coils:
GT Coils 260 lb/in
620 Coils 560 lb/in
720 Coils 600 lb/in
750 Coils 750 lb/in

I agree, it's really strange that they are just about the only spring supplier not to call their spring by the rate.

Leafs:
GT Leaf 165 lb/in
4 Leaf 165 lb/in
4.5 Leaf 175 lb/in
5 Leaf 195 lb/in
5.5 Leaf HD 300 lb/in
6 Leaf 225 lb/in

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Great Charlie, what kind of lap times are you pulling now? To hang out at TWS w/you, does CVAR require me to be a member of your crew like SCCA or can I just come out?

Good luck, have fun and be safe :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tear it up Charlie!!!
Put those springs to the test. Keep us updated with the results, and your opinion on the handling of the front springs . I'm curious. Good Luck :track:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It was great to see all of the vintage iron stretching their legs :: even if the weather was cold and wet :puke: Charlie put on a great show and fight for position. I suspect the new stiffer springs did not help on a cold and wet track :: but should help on a dry day.

My personal site is maxed out so if some one else has the space, I'll send you my pics of the race for posting.

Hey Charlie, now you need to come to one of my SCCA races!

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts