Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously. "Early" Black Friday ads and blurb have been going on since like Halloween and I still can't look at the Yahoo home/news page without seeing Black Friday ads all still up. It's Saturday, it's over people. You can shut up about it now. Your "Black Friday" in July or December ads impress no one. Just stop. Please.
Around here the best Christmas shopping day of the year is actually today. Because they have a big football rivalry game today. Clemson versus USC. Not being alumni of either school nor fans of football in general, wife and I gleefully park close to front doors, don't have to fight crowds in aisles, and don't wait in long lines to checkout this afternoon. Plus there are usually the dregs of Friday's sales still lying around.

I did get out some yesterday, traffic was full of lunatics and idiots. Changing lanes without signaling or looking. Not moving when lights turn green. Running red lights. Just to start. It was amazingly bad. The lack of consideration for other people on the road was anew low for around here. Wife said I wasn't going to chauffeur her and the kids for more shopping later if I was going to curse at people like that the entire time. In normal times my comments are more like "will you look at this idiot?" with no four letter words needed. Yesterday morning....whew. Got a really handy little three step ladder/stool for the garage for a whole ten bucks at Home Depot so there's that I guess.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'm with you, @GypsyR... everyone in my family and I are HUGE
20190720_211104.jpg
20190721_221145.jpg
college football fans, and I'm typing this while riding to the Iron Bowl here in town, but Auburn is a much quieter place to live when the games are away, or a holiday comes and the students leave town. It's still a little town when they're all gone. War Eagle !!
20190720_211104.jpg
20190721_221145.jpg

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Someone should invent a way where we can order things from our computers and phones from the comfort of our homes (or when we’re supposed to be working) then have them delivered in a day or two... ;) :p
I have to admit I order from Amazon Prime several times a week. In the back of my mind I realize they will end up being an even greater Satan than Walmart when it comes to US jobs. But Damn it's convenient!
According to Internet News Sources retail stores were ghost towns yesterday.
Not around here. Northern Indiana.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
According to Internet News Sources retail stores were ghost towns yesterday.
Not in my world.
Then again, they said Hillary was going to win.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts

·
Administrator
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ummm, OK. Back more on topic. Wife and I have about decided to give up on Thanksgiving dinner. The early sales and doorbusters have intruded upon our family get together to the point we are caving in. OK, plus some of our opposite in-laws have Thanksgiving lunch. So our plan is to have Black Friday dinner next year and just have Thursday as a day off. It means we will be giving up OUR Friday shopping in favor of food preparation. No big deal though, how many second rate TV's does a body need?

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I've never gone black Friday shopping that I can recall. Now the internet deals, I'm all over that. You're going to have to keep hearing about "black friday sales" becuase most of them run through Dec 4th online. I can't recall which dealership, maybe KIA of Greer, but they ran their "labor day" sale for like 3 weeks.

I worked on the shop all day yesterday and today, never left the house.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Gypsy, are you just saying you will be going early Black Friday shopping next year then?
Too many places are open on Thanksgiving for the start of Black Friday anymore.
And re your traffic, that sounds like Phoenix 24/7 anymore.
Russ

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Lol, I went to crossfit friday morning and without thinking, I planned to swing by menards on the way home to return an item. As I pulled up to menards from a side street I found it odd that there were cars lining the street. Then it dawned on me what day it was. I'll never get it.

·
Administrator
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gypsy, are you just saying you will be going early Black Friday shopping next year then?
Russ
Nope. Just because we've knuckled under to how the crass commercialization of the holiday has affected our family gathering doesn't mean I will support it. I actually kind of liked the sales events. When they started at 8AM Friday. They lost me when they encroached on Thursday. Some places open at five. Which is when we eat. Never mind all those folks who have to go to work that day AND at the crack of dawn the next day. I can about already tell my grandkids about how there used to be almost no stores at all open on holidays. New Year's day is already like that. Use to be everything shut down for it. Now it's almost ignored to where only banks and such close for it anymore. I just feel like we're losing something and it's kind of sad.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Sad indeed to see every holiday being marketed 1 1/2-2 months early......
I just love seeing Christmas stuff for sale in October.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Ummm, OK. Back more on topic. Wife and I have about decided to give up on Thanksgiving dinner. The early sales and doorbusters have intruded upon our family get together to the point we are caving in. OK, plus some of our opposite in-laws have Thanksgiving lunch. So our plan is to have Black Friday dinner next year and just have Thursday as a day off. It means we will be giving up OUR Friday shopping in favor of food preparation. No big deal though, how many second rate TV's does a body need?
So... Mrs. Nailbender and I are the hosts for Thanksgiving Dinner and every other holiday dinner since my mother can no longer do it. My wife is wonderful to be such a gracious host since it is entirely my family and gearhead friends. They show up and we spend 4+ hours together with minimal device usage. If it was any other way it wouldn't happen. If door busters are more important than a family gathering they can all go to hell!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
You disappoint me, both as a Mustanger and an American...

Thanksgiving Day should be celebrated on the last Thursday of November by Presidential decree. It is the day that we give thanks to our Lord and our Founding Fathers by sitting down as a family so the very next day we can trample our brethern and stab them in the neck in order to get that cappuccino machine for $25 off...

John

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Happy Cyber-Monday folks. Sorry, I couldn't help myself on that one. Yes, the wife and I went shopping on Black Friday, and scored some good deals on items we needed. I got a Little Giant 22 ft. ladder that normally goes for $229 for $150 at Lowes.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Who needs "Black Friday" when I can get all the Christmas presents for my family from a gas station or a dollar store! :) :) :)
I can do better than that. I don't do christmas, so my shopping is done all the time. Only person I shop for is me, and I do that whenever I feel the need.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You disappoint me, both as a Mustanger and an American...

Thanksgiving Day should be celebrated on the last Thursday of November by Presidential decree. It is the day that we give thanks to our Lord and our Founding Fathers by sitting down as a family so the very next day we can trample our brethern and stab them in the neck in order to get that cappuccino machine for $25 off...

John
Where's the presidential decree for Black Friday? I remember when it was time to go back to work; now it's almost like Thanksgiving is a 2-day holiday. The commercialization of ALL holidays is why I only celebrate New Year's Eve, July 4, and my birthday.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts