Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock starter won't fit. They conflict with the headers. 289... bigger flywheel..tri Y
headers T5. I want to use one of those smaller ford starters from 1990 on up. They have a solenoid
on the starter. Which one? I would like to use the original mustang solenoid on the inner fender. I don't think I can. What starter do I get? How about those aftermarket little guys. I hate to spend
200 bucks on a starter. Especially one made out of pink aluminum.
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979479&p=43517165.jpg

·
Registered
20,877 Posts
I think I'd look at a late model 5.0 starter. I believe the flywheel is the same size. Tell you a funny story, One of my co-workers had a pro-street 67, it had a 351C with 14:1 compression. He told me he had nothing but problems trying to find a starter that would last. He said the only one that ever really cranked the engine and lasted was a cheapie $29.00 starter, and yes that included expensive mini racing starters!

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575517&a=11977890&p=44194856.jpg

Hale Boppe comet shot off my roof. See you can use 100 iso at night with no flash!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Well I have had the same idea on my mind also. For more clearance getting them in and out from under the header and being further from the header to not toast them with the heat. I have been looking in the salvage yards and the counter guys do not seem to know about this undersized starter. My focus has been from a 5.0 explorer or mountaineer. Let me know if you hear of any definite applications. I have mixed feelings about installing a starter that has a solenoid on its side, it has to do with being too much like brand X........yuck! John

It would be a shame to have passed the test but to have missed the lesson.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a late 70's vintage 302 in my 65 Coupe. I used a 5.0
starter which was about 1/3 smaller than the original. I believe it was from a truck but I am not sure. The parts house guy kept pulling stuff until we found one that matched the bendix depth. Couldnt make this work on my friends 67 with a 65 289. The bendix wasnt deep enough. Both cars are c-4 autos. Must be some difference between the years.

65 Coupe (The Toy)
68 Coupe (Son's)
2000 GT Conv. (Wife's)
66 Conv. (New Project)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When using the mini starter with the solenoid on it you still use the fender mount solenoid.Thats the way Ford does it

Greg B

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the 5.0 Explorer starter is the one...Think they are about $75 at Auto-Zombie...

1970 Fastback, 4V 351C, various colors with black interior

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just about any 5.0 from mid '92 on has the permenant magnet mini-starter.
The generation before this is also a bit smaller than the sixties/seventies starter. I am using a '88 starter with success on a '68 C4 on a '70 302 (in a '70).
I believe the later 3.8 V6 starters are the same, but have not confirmed this. You can indeed use the original starter relay with this unit, but there will be one more wire going to the starter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts