Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.
I've got a '72 Grande (http://www.tomsveryown.com/1972) that I call the Hulk - he's one big, mean, green machine. I recently bought a gauge cluster from someone on who says it came out of a '72 Mach I. My gauges are, left to right, Idiot Lights/Fuel Gauge/Speedo - the 'new one' has Tach/Fuel/Speedo (With trip!)... I really got it for the tach.

I figured - and wrongly - that the wiring harness would be the same - figured that FORD wouldn't do that to me - guess what? They did that to me. The new gauge cluster has a smaller female connection that the old gauge cluster. I'm not sure how to hook up the new one, but I figure that if I had a wiring schematic of the old one and the new one, I could make it work. Or maybe even some adapter so that when I go to sell it, I could put the stock one back without a lot of hassle...

And, once connected, what do I hook the two wires coming from the tach to? My distributor isn't stock - it's a Mallory. The coil is stock (but that's about to change) - so if ya' needed to know that, now you do.

Thanks for all your help in advance,
Tom ([email protected]veryown.com)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Same car, same problem. All I know is DON'T plug your tach directly on to your coil. It will light up like a cheap roman candle. The tach has to go through the voltage regulator along with the gauge package and I don't know if the regulator that runs the idiot lights for your current cluster is the same voltage that you need to run the gauge setup. If you figure out how to do it, let me know so I can do the same thing. And one other thing the oil\water senders must be changed to run the gauge package. And you have to run a wire from your alt to the volt meter to make that work too. Let me know,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll let ya' know... Let's cross our fingers and hope SOMEBODY out here knows the answer to the 100,000 rpm question...hehe..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My brother in law is a electrician He looked at the electrical schematics and said it could be done, but now he's once removed and have'nt talked to him since :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well can ya' get 'em once UN-removed? I sure could use his help!

Tom

·
Registered
394 Posts
Tom,
Search this site by user name and look for posts by Rich Pazjer. Quite some time ago he posted a very detailed description of what you had to do for this conversion, because as you have already found out, it is not a plug and play swap (no apologies to my cousin Bill). Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't find ANYTHING with Rich Pazjer's name on it... I did a search, the only thing I find is what you sent with his name on it.

Thanks for trying - any further assistance will be - as it already is - deeply appreciated.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts