Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here it is, I am in the process of installing my rebuilt 302 into my car but i came across a little dilema. The problem is mating the engine and transmission together. I can get all the bolts started in the bellhousing but when i start to bring them closer toghether by tightening them more the torque convertor studs/nuts and weights on the flywheel rub and scrape against the engine/block plate. Any ideas on what is wrong, or how i can solve it would be greatly appreciated.

Much Thanks

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Have you made sure the torque converter plug is exposed in one of the holes? If not, you'll warp the flexplate and cause the problem that you describe.

Also, it is EXTREMELY important that you NEVER use the bolts to draw the transmission up to the engine. If it won't shove up flush with just pushing it, then the torque converter is not seated all the way and you'll crush the front pump.

When the converter is fully seated, you will not be able to get your fingers between the converter and the bell housing (it will be that close to the bell housing).

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Been there done that...Doh! Back the tranny off the motor.
Hopefully you haven't really torqued it down. If you have you may have damaged the front pump.
The convertor should be seated as follows. Spin to the right while pressing in ...and you'll hear a clunk. Next spin to the left while pressing...another clunk...then spin more to the left and a final clunk.
If you have done this the tranny should seat up to the flex plate and the tranny will align with the pins on the rear of the engine with alot less effort.

**clunk**my definition of the sound when the convertor seats in. ::

·
Registered
550 Posts
One problem I ran into on my old car when putting the engine back in was on the C4 the input shaft had longer splines on one side than the other. It looked almost identical but I put in backwards. This would not allow the Torque converter to seat all the way in. Once I flipped it over it went right in.

Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts