Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally mounted my front brakes and put one of my wheels on..... I feel like they stick out too much but I don't know if it's just me
It's a 18x9 v215 torq thrust 2 wheel and I have about 5/8" from my ball joint.
I can try to return them (summit) but it's been a few months.
I truly hate looking for wheels. Not because I can't choose a style but because I honestly get lost looking at offset and backspacing.

What would you guys do?
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

:cry:

Attachments

·
Dimples
6,734 Posts
Hard to say without fenders on it. 9" wide is a lot on a classic Mustang. What year is it?

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't this a common option people use? Or with different backspacing?
How much space between the ball joint and wheel is common for a 18x9 wheel on a 69 mustang?

·
Dimples
6,734 Posts
Isn't this a common option people use? Or with different backspacing?
How much space between the ball joint and wheel is common for a 18x9 wheel on a 69 mustang?
5.5in backspacing, and even then it's pretty close. I don't think these wheels are going to work without fender flares.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a 69-70 expert)

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
5.5in backspacing, and even then it's pretty close. I don't think these wheels are going to work without fender flares.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a 69-70 expert)
So I'm 1/2" to far out right? Well compared to the normal...
I don't mind flaring the fenders. I was actually expecting too on the rear since I went with 18x10
I'm just worried about them being too far out in front.
I could always put spacers in the rear also huh..... I have 3" arp studs front and rear already. Man I hate figuring out stuff like this

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
5,061 Posts
The distance from the ball joint is irrelevant, so long as it doesn't rub. You're gonna have to bolt on a fender to see if thevwidth works.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got off the phone from summit racing. I've always like dealing with them. I've got 4 days to return my front wheels hahaha
I'm stuck with the rear wheels because I bought them somewhere else but the front wheels are 225 a piece so I'm more worried about them.

I guess it's time to bolt on a front fender. Thanks so far guys

·
Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
630 Posts
Prolly no help but I'm running 18" Torque Thrust wheels, 9" wide with a 4.5" back space, with 245 40 ZR 18 nitto tires.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Bicycle

·
Registered
67 vert, 347 EFI, T5
1,178 Posts
I would think you're going to need to not only put a fender on, but also pull the coilovers and cycle the suspension to get a good idea at ride height and full compression.

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
Since you are running the SoT front coil over setup and spindles as well, you might want to contact Shaun and see what wheel and tire combinations others have successfully run with 69 Mustangs.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
My wheels are 18x9 front and have 1/4" less back spacing than yours do at 4.75". My wheels dont come anywhere near rubbing my fenders

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Not an 18", but I just recently I tried a 17x9 (up front) with a 5.95" backspace, but a 1" spacer (so effectively 4.95" BS) and a 245/40/17 tire. It rubbed so bad, I couldn't get the car out of the garage, but my car also sits really low. 620 spring with 2/3 of a coil cut and the Shelby drop. Ended up with a 17x8 and a 4.5" BS (no spacer) and a 245/40/17 and it fits fine. Real close to rubbing, even with my rolled fenders, but it doesn't rub.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since you are running the SoT front coil over setup and spindles as well, you might want to contact Shaun and see what wheel and tire combinations others have successfully run with 69 Mustangs.
had to cook dinner so I wasn't able to mount a fender. Probably later today
I hope I remember how it goes on! I didn't take enough pictures and I have a horrible memory.....

If it looks OK, ill just use them. If not then I'll return them and ask Shaun. I think I asked him before but I can't remember :rolleyes:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi Lalo, responded to your message

I have a 69 coupe with 18x9/10 fr500s 245/40 275/40 SportComp 2 tires, I also have the SOT suspension and vintage venom 03/04 cobra brake kit which requires me to use a spacer and run 99-04 wheels.

The Spacer sits between the rotor hat and hub

I did have to roll the front and rear fenders as the sidewall kept getting chewed up when taking hard turns or when accelerating. however, this is the stance I like as I never like the wheels too tucked in, it looks weird to me. I dont think you will have issues, but I recommend putting on your fenders to get an idea of the stance.

see attached pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Here’s a backspace to offset conversion chart.

On a 9” wide wheel with 4.5” bs, the offset is -12mm.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?
I thought the backspacing and offset could vary on however the wheel was made. I didn't know it just follows this chart.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Asphalt

Automotive tire Tire Tread Asphalt Wood

It looks like the wheel sticks out like 1/4" past the fender lip..... if these wheels were 1/2" closer to the ball joint I'd be so happy. If

1 - 20 of 20 Posts