Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing 70sportsroof's, johnpro's, and SAC69's sportsroof, I've decided that the sportsroof must be the next project car. Who else is in the sportsroof camp? Pros / Cons to restoration / modification?

Should I be worried that SWMBO thinks it reminds her of a greaser car? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
BIG BIG blind spot... HUGE blind spot.. but they are so damn COOL!! I LOVE mine... would never trade it. I even got an offer above my purchase price today, and I just cannot part with it.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Higher prices for parts in general for the 69/70 Sportsroofs. Many bad reproduction pieces that don't fit. No reproduction floor pans. Just like for all years NOS parts are too much money.
Don't worry about the blindspots you'll get used to them.
Glad to see someone else with the fever.... I've had my fever for almost 25 years and counting...
Luckily for SWMBO the fever isn't contagious for everyone.

G

·
0 Posts
I have the 70 sportsroof and love it. Its under restoration now and hitting all the normal problems...RUST but I have found most parts are available for restoring. If you like it and can get it, go for it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
BILL! Go for it! There have been a couple in the Sacramento Bee lately and CHEAP!!!!. There was one with a 385 crate motor for $5000!

I think you will do OK on parts. There are a number of folks in town that can help with that AND rust should not be too much of a problem if you get a real CA car.

The one thing that I have noticed is that if they dont make a repro part now they sure will soon enough.

A GREASER CAR? What the.... I need to get some new photos of my car up with the spoiler and slats so you can show your wife that it is definitely NOT a greaser car. Click the link below to see my photo album.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
to me theres nothing better than a 69-70 fastback(sportsroof) doesn't matter if it's a plain jane,mach,boss or shelby, they just look cool from all sides. even with out the spoilers and shakers they have great lines......other than the "BLIND" spot, the only thing i don't like about them is the factory interior lighting sucks.... i fix mine with a rear view mirror from a brand X with the map lights in it..... good luck in your search

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Personaly I think You should go with a 71 -73 Convertible /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
Look at the smooth lines. The great hood!!!!!! The big car!!!!!
Just enough room to house a stump pulling, house moving nasty sounding 429, with ease and you can change the spark plugs with out pulling the motor!

Just kidding------ well maybe not.
I do like the 69 -70 sportroof's

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Well, I'm flattered...

I like the 69's over the 70's due to the 4 head lamps and shape of the taillights and fake side scoops. However, the 70's had stronger ft disk brake spindles, better door glass mounting, among other items. The dash is a bit high to look out of, feels almost like a ****pit with the dash shape also.

I find that the parts I need are available, (but I'm starting with a pretty complete car) but they tend to be more expensive ($400 dash for example). It is reportedly subject to the same rust spots as earlier models. Big engine bay to handle a 460 if need be. The earlier models seem to be easier to modify in terms of installing aftermarket guages in dash because they do not have the circuit board to deal with.

I've noticed the fastbacks (I can't say sportsroof, doesn't sound cool like fastback does) of 69-70 are definitely cheaper than the 65-68 models and V8's are more common, I seldom see a 6 cyl. Saw a very clean V8 model last week driving around town with "For Sale $4000" written in white shoe polish on the rr glass.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think the fastbacks in general are the best if You can't afford a decent drop top! I prefer the 69 because of the dual headlights/and side scoops/roof emblems and other misc. to the 70's although they are very close in looks!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Definately addicting! I've got 3 69's; JUST finished the S-code (appraisal came back today $44,500.00) Have two M-codes "under construction". The meanest looking stang ever produced! Not to many problems with parts. The only part I haven't been able to find so far is the window remote chrome bezel. LOL

·
Registered
315 Posts
First car (17 yrs old) 69 Mach 1.........long gone. Current car = 66 fastback. Best car at the Milpitas show, 69 Mach 1. Next car to restore, 69 Mach or Boss. Nothing quite like it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Greaser Car........?? No way,mate! Down here there known as "Chick Magnets"!!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif
Just do it ........& don't let your missus see this post./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
Greg

·
Registered
612 Posts
I agree with everything on this page, 60/70 SR are the sexiest stangs ever... Ive had the fever since they came out when I was a kid, and finally got one last fall (a real project). It was a mistake probably, because even though the shell cost only 500 bucks, I have nearly 5,000 in it, and still have no engine or trans, and need to do all the body work and stuff. Parts are definatlely more expensive and harder to find than earlier models, but in the end, I think Ill have a big headturner. I know there's some deals around the country, but here in Wisconsin, Ive only seen 2 for sale in the paper in the last year, 1 overpriced and 1 that should have gone to the crusher......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts