Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Power is back on in my town after the big black out on the east coast. It was about 4:20 PM yesterday when the lights started to flicker and then dim. The lights stayed dim for a while. Not wanting to ruin our new refrigerator or washer, I shut the main breaker off.

I get paged from work, duh, not much I can do! But fortunately power returns a couple hours later. Power was restored to my house about 10:30 PM.

My brother is an operating engineer in NYC. He called me about 9:30 and told me NYC was out. He said it was massive grid lock with people only moving 1 car length in about 45 minutes! I couldn't imaging even wanting to try to leave in those conditions!

Canada is saying a power plant was hit by lightning.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
We lost power around 4:15 & the power didnt come back on untill 11:00 pm. They said on the news this morning that the blackout was the worst in the history of the US.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
We got power back about 9pm also.
Some surrounding towns still had power like Hillsdale and Woodcliff Lake so we went to the Blue Moon Cafe for dinner and by the time we got back it was on. :)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I never really lost mine. It faded and went out for a few minutes in the beginning then it started cycling from what appeared normal to low voltage. I just shut off the AC and unplugged the fridge. It was fun having a fan speed up and slow down with the fluctuations and the dimming lights were fun too. The severity and frequency of the dips became less and less and after about an hour I was watching TV and using the computer.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Our power never went off either. The lights flickered and dimmed for about 30 seconds, that was it. Of course I was on the parkway while it all happened I couldn't see any of the "fun" till i got home

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
We were without power here for about 12 hours... first time in my life I was ever able to see so many stars from anywhere within 50 miles of here! Lots of places were closed all day today as the water processing plants all went down without adequate backup and water is supposed to be boiled thru Sunday. The pressure seems to be back to normal tonight though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts