Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think all nature is out to keep my car dirty. Monday I washed the stang, it looked all pretty. Drive it to college orientation wednesday, accidently parked next to sprinkler, came out and whole half of car was filthy with water spots and all. Came home, washed it, then that night I hear thunder and, oh no! rain /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif. So this morning I go to second day of orientation, make mistake of parking under light pole, come out to car and find that birds bombarded my hood /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif. Well washed those off when I got home, wonder whats next /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Get a car cover...

*G*

The main reason the race car still looks good after 20+ years on the paint is that I invested in a good car cover when it was new and used it religiously, even when leaving the car at the track overnight. The cover is pretty worn now, but the paint still looks like the day I shot it, except for a few stone chips and rubber debris at the back from the slicks.

A good Carnuba wax can do wonders as well....

And a pellet gun for the birds...

hehehe

G

·
I'll second the good car cover. We carry it in the trunk and cover the car just about
everyplace where it sits for a couple of hours. Kinda of a pain but it keeps it cleaner.
Especially along the beach with a bazillion seagulls around.

·
Administrator
19,511 Posts
Same here, we just entered what we call Spotted Car Season here in Tucson as the monsoons officially started yesterday. My new beautiful truck looks awful with the dirt spots all over it. I rinsed it off Wednesday because I was going to our Mustang club meeting. Less than 15 minutes later it was spotted again and worse than before. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I have to park outside so I guess I'll be doing a lot of truck rinsing for the next month. It didn't look so bad on the white paint of my Bronco, but on the gray of my truck--awful!

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Entropy. You can't fight nature man.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yea I do have a great car cover. Just wasn't using it at the time haha. Anytime its at home though its under the cover, I learned that after the first paint job faded from bright red to orange /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
645 Posts
I hear ya Laurie... that's what AZ is all about... turning the dust layer on top of your car into spots of mud, then drying and baking in the sun...

I can't use wax in Arizona because it doesn't stand a chance, especially on the hood where theres heat hitting it hard from both sides.

The only thing that keeps oxidation at bay is a good cleaner, and then Formula 2001 polish (nice, cuz it's really cheap too) Keeps it good for about a year!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts