Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '66 fastback sitting at the mother in laws house thats been in the garage for 4 years,it needs to be restored,the grandson is getting it,anyway the guy I got it from said it's a J code 302,it has a '68 4 barrel cast iron intake and I pulled the valve covers off and you can see 302 castings,what I did notice is the damper is thick like a K code,unlike the 289's I have in my other cars,I'm not really familar with this motor, are they that wide? I just read that they are like an A-code as far as power correct? anything special about it if it is,thanks,Pete

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
The 68 service replacement K code dampener was that wide and has been a popular addition to the Ford small block for the last 40 years.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Yes mine had the wide damper..Also on the heads by the rocker studs it should be cast 302 on one end and 4V on the other..Nothing really too special about it other than it was only produced for one year..With the high compression and small 4 barrel it makes a fun little engine for around town..:D

·
Registered
503 Posts
J code is a peppy engine for a small block.definitly more punch than an A code.

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
Hmmm… The only difference between the A code and J code engines was the J code had 11 more cubic inches. Same intake manifold, same cam, same exhaust manifolds, similar, but sometimes worse, heads, and a smaller carb on the J code.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts