Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do some work under my 1970 Mach 1 Mustang. I don’t have a lift. Is it ok to Jack up the rear using a rolling jack placed under the center of the differential casing? And then place jack starts on both sides of axel between center of axle and leaf springs?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Same here. Just make sure it’s secure on the jack pad and you’ll be good.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
when you say center differential casing, you mean the steel axle housing that the 3rd member goes into right? I add a small 2x4 chunk on the floor jack pad to help spread out the load a little better and not scrape up my shiny black rear.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I use a urethane pad on my floor jack to keep from scratching the vehicle jack points

·
Registered
263 Posts
I add a small 2x4 chunk on the floor jack pad to help spread out the load a little better and not scrape up my shiny black rear.
I add a small chunk of wood to keep it from slipping. Steel on steel is actually quite slick. Things can shift quickly and get very out of hand.

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
No problem jacking there then putting jack stands under both spring perches and letting the weight settle on those. I have a piece of foam pipe insulation to keep my jack handle from hitting the car.

·
Registered
36,519 Posts
I add a small chunk of wood to keep it from slipping. Steel on steel is actually quite slick. Things can shift quickly and get very out of hand.
Yep, I saw a Mustang slip off the jack when raised this way, slick as snot.

I had nothing to do with it, thank goodness. Lemme tell ya, it did a lot of damage to the transition panel and gas tank.

I ALWAYS raise one side, place a jack stand, then the other side, place the other jack stand. Lifting the center is lazy and dangerous. Take the extra 4 minutes to do it right.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible
676 Posts

I had nothing to do with it, thank goodness. Lemme tell ya, it did a lot of damage to the transition panel and gas tank.

I ALWAYS raise one side, place a jack stand, then the other side, place the other jack stand. Lifting the center is lazy and dangerous. Take the extra 4 minutes to do it right.
Very small surface area at the rear end and potentially oily. Take precautions.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Really?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have a FAB9 rear so there’s more of an area, but you have to watch for the drain bolt. Still, I use a small woodblock for a buffer but I’m going to by a pad for better grip.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Whatever you do, jack up the front first. If you lift the rear end first you'll never get the jack under the front.
Also, always use jack stands in pairs. If I'm planning to be under the car I usually go all 4, but, front, rear, one side, or the other, always use at least two.
I've been lifting the rear with a floor jack under the pumpkin since 2004. Never had an issue... but I've been very careful about jack placement and the position (rotation) of the plate.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Um, yeah, really. Even at home, I have a hydraulic floor jack, nothing fancy. It's old, but you can get a new one for like $30.
Are you taking about using the factory jack!? I just assumed you meant using a hydraulic floor jack you would never lift it from the center, which goes against everything I’ve been taught/done in 20 years. I absolutely agree that you wouldn’t use the factory jack in the center of the diff...

·
Registered
36,519 Posts
Are you taking about using the factory jack!? I just assumed you meant using a hydraulic floor jack you would never lift it from the center, which goes against everything I’ve been taught/done in 20 years. I absolutely agree that you wouldn’t use the factory jack in the center of the diff...
Now I'm confused. Did you read my post when you quoted it?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
If I lift the front end first, my concern about going side-to-side on the rear after the front is on stands: if I lift one side on the rear then the weight of the car is on the opposite side stand in the front. My fear is that the stand will topple.
That's just me... lift the front from the crossmember, rear from the pumpkin.

Reactions: cjhudson87
1 - 20 of 49 Posts