Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever had your rear swaybar groan at you when jacking up one side of the front of your car?

I have!

Made a spreader beam out of some thinwall 3" square tubing. Now I put it under the front of the stang and catch both front framerails at the same time. I now raise the entire front in just 1 lift. Insert jackstands, move to the rear, perform 1 lift, insert jackstands and I'm done!

Just thought I'd share it with you.

"If you're under control you aren't going fast enough"
Parnelli Jones

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Anytime you want to share tips like that, just bring them on. That's a fantastic tip ... only problem is now I'm scratching my head saying, "how come I never thought of that?" *LOL*

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I like that better than what I used to do: place a short section of 4X4 between the strut rod braces under the radiator support and jack it up from there, stuff in the jack stands and then place a 1X2 under the rear diff and jack up the back and insert jack stands. Have to becareful of the teetering...

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I've always put the jack under the crossmember/radiator support (not sure of the correct name, but where the strut rods attach), and lifted the whole front from there. Is there a problem with doing this? As far as I can tell, It's never had any detrimental affects on my car.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Johnpro,

Even a blind dog finds a bone sometime. I read many of your posts and your way ahead of me with good ideas!

The guy who described using a soda straw (from McDonalds) to reinstall an oil pump driveshaft in his smallblock is my all-time favorite tip!

Anyone who has been in that situation would appreciate that one.

"If you're under control you aren't going fast enough"
Parnelli Jones

G

·
0 Posts
Jim,
Chances are nothing bad would really happen, but it's not exactly the ideal place to jack from. Here's the main three jacking points in the front:

1. Crossmember under oil pan (only use if the bolts are tight, and you can trust them).

2. Either front framerail - preferably in the back part where it starts to go under the floor.

3. Both framerails as mentioned.

As far as jackstands, the rear part of the framerails is best, but you can probably put them under the front part w/o trouble. (The rear part sits better on the stand though if you're stands have a circular cut out in them for use under the rear end.)

-Brian

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I sure hope I can put jackstands under the front part of the frame rails. My Mustang has been sitting on them for the last.... 4 months!

They're on the rails, just behind where the engine compartment ends... pictures at www.geocities.com/richelieu2000 if you wish to see where they're placed... I think in the during/front_suspension pictures.

Rich
----
'66, 302-4bbl, Granada disk brakes, etc, etc...

G

·
0 Posts
Rich, that's fine. That's what I was talking about as a correct location. The other area I was talking about that I said should be alright is the very front part of the framerails, like between the shock towers and the rad. support.

-Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts