Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to my owners manual I am NOT to jack the rear of the car by the center of the differential. Now I have heard the same about my 65, but many people have told me that they do it all the time, and I have done so myself without any problems. I am wondering if it is ok with the 98, or a definite no-no. As I said, the book says in BOLD CAPS do not jack by the center of differential. If it is not ok, please explain the reasoning, as it sure looks like heavy rigid parts.

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
I assume that means to not jack up the differential with the factory supplied screw jack. That would be very unstable using those crappy little jacks to lift the entire rear of the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That could be, as the owners manual doesn't say, and they could be referring to the factory jack. So in your opinion, using my floor jack and then putting stands under the axles would be fine then, right?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
That could be, as the owners manual doesn't say, and they could be referring to the factory jack. So in your opinion, using my floor jack and then putting stands under the axles would be fine then, right?
YES

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks. That will be a lot easier than trying to use 2 jacks, or jacking up each side a little at a time.

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
So in your opinion, using my floor jack and then putting stands under the axles would be fine then, right?
Absolutely! I do exactly that all the time.
Never get under a car that is supported only by a hydraulic jack. It may not have leaked down last time but you never know when it may.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
You need to be careful with the placement of the Jack plate on the rear housing. I believe the rear you have is an 8.8 inch rear and has a removable rear plate to access the gears. If you hit this plate while lifting you can possibly bend it breaking the seal on the rear causing it to leak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it does have a "tin" plate on the rear of the diff. If bending it is the only reason to not jack in the center, I can be extra careful to avoid that. No problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts