Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Dimples
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Story
It has been a whirlwind of a weekend!

I found a 66 coupe on Facebook Marketplace last week listed for $2,000. Not much of a description beyond the fact that it was an abandoned project in mom’s garage and she wanted it gone. The only promising detail was the 289 badge on the fender that happened to be sitting on top of the engine. (The whole fender, that is)

Long story short is that we just got this today for my daughter and we have two years to make it happen. $1,500 later, we’ve got what amounts to a roller with all of the parts minus the windshield. Except for a bit of rust in the driver’s floor pan (and I assume, cowl), it is rock solid. Better shape than my fastback was in 20+ years ago, that’s for sure.

My daughter, Jade, is an amazing kid. She deserves it, and is smart and considerate enough to fully appreciate the memories we get to make together building this car.

As a testament to her awesomeness, my hot rod buddies descended on the purchase, helping us unload the super-packed garage. Special thanks goes to my friend Hunter. We grew up together and our first cars were blue 65-66 coupes and we’ve been building and driving old Mustangs together for almost 30 years. My friend Fitzwell loaned me the rad tow rig. It has a fuel injected 351 and 4R70W, so pulling it home was a breeze.

The Specs
1966 Coupe
Wimbledon White
Black Standard Interior
C-code 289
3 Spd Manual
2.80 rear
Dearborn assembly plant
Dallas DSO
AC (yup, still there)

The Plan
There’s still much to be determined, but it’s looking like a mostly stock revival with drivability improvements (front discs, 3-point seatbelts, etc.). The big question is exterior color. It’s mostly in primer at the moment, and there’s really no reason not to go for what she really wants. Black interior goes with everything anyway.

So far, Emberglo is her pick, which is a favorite of mine, but it’s up to her. Plenty of time for that color to change.

I’ll update this thread as things progress. Next step will be cataloging everything that’s stuffed in boxes, then cleaning, then welding up the floor patch and holes left by the rocker and quarter panel trim holes. Then bodywork and you know how the rest of this goes.
View attachment 739280

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
AWESOME !!! Tell her to check out the Emberglo 66 Coupe for Son build I have going on. Black goes with anything, sure, but I dunno if anything goes with Emberglo like Parchment or the Deluxe Emberglo and Parchment, haha! Well done, Dad !!! We have a long way to go, too...
20181216_154216.jpg
20190515_024439.jpg

·
Dimples
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hah, I figured you’d get to this thread pretty fast.

I agree with those color combos, but we’re working with what we’ve got. Two-tone pony interior is so good though.

·
Super Moderator
9,763 Posts
What FUN!

I’ll be following.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Outstanding! Good times with her to follow.

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
I love parent-child projects. I couldn't resist! Build it with love, any way she wants. Yours looks more like the Nightmist car I'm sitting on for my second son...
I'm glad to see there are young people out there that still are interested in these cars, the history, and their future.

Attachments

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
@BlakeTX, man you rock and so does your daughter!!

I'll be checking in on the progress!!

I was at Barber Motor Speedway in Birmingham with Patrick and his car today and a 15-16-17 year old boy comes walking up after I had backed it out of the trailer and was letting it warm up. He says, "That is the coolest car here!"

Love the young people getting involved and liking the cars!!

Allen

·
Registered
929 Posts
My daughter has helped me work on my 67 Cougar and enjoyed our "bonding time" together. Now, when I go to the great garage in the sky (hopefully), the Cougar will go to her. My 66 Mustang build is in the "Build" forum under 66 bucket coupe (it came to me in boxes and buckets).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good for you and Jade!! You are blessed to have a daughter that is interested in such things. Treasure the time. I will be watching your progress!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Congratulations for the project, I’m sure Jade will enjoy it a lot, and you even more than her.!!
Why not leaving it in the original color.? Anyways, Emberglo is one of my favorites too.
Build her as she wants, at the end of the day, it’s gonna be her car.!
My cars are done, but would like my daughter (almost 16) was more interested than she is. Of course, she can’t drive here until she is 18...

Josep

·
Registered
827 Posts
Cool. The best way to get young people interested in old cars, is trying to make them part of it. A wild example is Alex Taylor. At the age of 13 she was told she would get moms old car at 16, if she helped restore it. This year she won her class at Drag Week in that Camaro. Personally I have never worked together with my dad, but I was allowed to work in the garage on my own, using all his tools from a VERY young age. I think I started at the age of 10, trying to fix my bikes. At 15 I had tried to weld and spray paint. ?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Way cool start! Thumbs up on the Emberglow, I sometimes wonder where mine is now.
Get ready for some high blood pressure and practice up on your stern looks. She (Jade) looks like she is a real beauty and put her cruising around in that Mustang and teenage boys will be like ants spotting a picnic basket! I have a grand daughter, 11 going on 15, that I figure will have her daddy and I tag teaming the country boys around here. I can look pretty intimidating for an old man when my youngins are involved.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
That's awesome! Nothing better than spending time in the shop with our little ones- glad you were able to score it! Also cool that she gets to pick the color.... just don't let her pick pink wheels like mine did!! lol!

·
Dimples
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good for you and Jade!! You are blessed to have a daughter that is interested in such things. Treasure the time. I will be watching your progress!
Yes sir, I know how lucky I am. This kid has been my copilot in my 66 her whole life, and she is psyched for this build!

Congratulations for the project, I’m sure Jade will enjoy it a lot, and you even more than her.!!
Why not leaving it in the original color.? Anyways, Emberglo is one of my favorites too.
Build her as she wants, at the end of the day, it’s gonna be her car.!
We're considering it a bit of a blank slate as far as color goes, and while this car is super-special to us, it's not historically significant enough to need to stay stock or have a color change mess with the value too much. I would be surprised if she ever sells this car anyway, so we'll build it to her tastes.

Looks like somebody added '68 style side marker lights/reflectors in the past?
Isn't that weird?!? 68 fender turn signals (wired up too) and 68 quarter panel reflectors. Very strange. Other strangeness includes chromed quarter panel extensions and a fully-chromed front valance. I can't imagine why, but needless to say, we're ditching all of that stuff.

·
Dimples
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Way cool start! Thumbs up on the Emberglow, I sometimes wonder where mine is now.
Get ready for some high blood pressure and practice up on your stern looks. She (Jade) looks like she is a real beauty and put her cruising around in that Mustang and teenage boys will be like ants spotting a picnic basket! I have a grand daughter, 11 going on 15, that I figure will have her daddy and I tag teaming the country boys around here. I can look pretty intimidating for an old man when my youngins are involved.
Hah, I am a large man with years of Kung-Fu training who dresses like a greaser. I'm no stranger to looking scary.

That said, Jade does not suffer fools. I don't think she needs much help from me to keep the knuckleheads at bay. I hear you though. A pretty girl in a classic Mustang definitely gets attention. My wonderful wife is hoping we get it together sooner rather than later so she can drive it before Jade turns 16. That's some serious motivation for me, because she'll make that car look goooooood.

That's awesome! Nothing better than spending time in the shop with our little ones- glad you were able to score it! Also cool that she gets to pick the color.... just don't let her pick pink wheels like mine did!! lol!
Hah, she has great taste (although as the resident goon with a flame job, I have no problem accepting pink wheels, lol).

·
Registered
371 Posts
Congrats on the project and on the memories!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts