Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
That smile on Jade's face says it all. This will be fun to follow along. Many memories to be made and congrats to all of your family!!

John

·
Dimples
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I stayed up way too late last night and did some more investigation on what we’ve got and the condition of things.

I found the headlight doors in the bottom of a box and, yup, they’re chromed too. ??? I’ll try and get a pic of those soon.

here it is in a more organized state (with chrome quarter extensions) and this cool speaker grille that looks like a perfect fit for the package tray. Is this a factory thing?

·
Registered
10,645 Posts
Aw man sweet score ,,, I'm late to the party as usual.
I'm a sucker for a Vanilla Wimbledon white 65/66 coupe. But the name Jade begs the question on Black Jade Poly ,or Silver jade Poly as options ? But what do I know I'm the patina guy. :unsure:Can we have some Trans Am theme ? you know you wanna :cool:

·
Dimples
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Can we have some Trans Am theme ? you know you wanna :cool:
You know I do, but I don’t think that’s in the cards for this one

That FORD emblem looks like it's from the 1950's or early 1960's. Is that a rivet holding it to the grille? Maybe a PO added it.
Interesting theory. There are two low profile nuts holding it on. Now that you mention it, it does look like an older version. My brain just kind of filled in the blanks and I assumed it was the same as the one on the AC.

·
Dimples
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here are the wacky chromed headlight doors as well as some cool notes dating back to the 70’s on the owners manual. On the inside cover is an owner card with a little metal plate that matches the warranty tag on the driver’s door. Never seen that before. (I put on the blue tape as the original tape disintegrated when I opened it)

·
Dimples
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I’m pretty sure they’re chromed because the front valance and ash tray are both chrome plated too. Besides that weirdness, some generic looking chrome side trim that ran down the sides appear to be the only deviations from stock. It still has the 2bbl and stock air cleaner.

·
Dimples
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Put a wrench on the crank pulley and the engine spins and feels good. There’s a bit more crud under the valve cover than I would prefer, but we’ll see what a compression gauge says, hopefully this weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
I was thinking maybe the speaker grille came from a Fairlane or Tbird or something. I have an OE type rear speaker and grille...
20191005_013910.jpg
It doesn't have an emblem on it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Here are the wacky chromed headlight doors as well as some cool notes dating back to the 70’s on the owners manual. On the inside cover is an owner card with a little metal plate that matches the warranty tag on the driver’s door. Never seen that before. (I put on the blue tape as the original tape disintegrated when I opened it) View attachment 739515 View attachment 739516 View attachment 739517
Service dept would have a imprinter similar to what they used to use for credit cards. (likely the same one, been too long)

·
Dimples
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well, here’s a familiar image. The oil looked remarkably clean on the dipstick, so I made some assumptions, knowing full well it wasn’t ideal for priming the oil to do a compression test. I don’t think anything made it past this poor oil pump. It only took a few seconds to twist off. I dropped the pan and the oil was pretty gnarly and the pickup looks just plain gross.

Also, it looks like the pan took a pretty hard bump.

So it looks like I’m going to buy a new oil pump and pickup Just to see if the engine is even worth using.
View attachment 739711

·
Dimples
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Check a couple of rod and main bearings while you're in there.
Funny you mention it, but I did take a peek at the #1 Main. It looks pretty tired, though that is the bearing that takes the most abuse in a SBF. What do y’all think?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Take the time and money to do it right.
You will never be disappointed that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 68 Posts