Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
When I had 2 67 Cougars, I had 3 289s that ended up with low oil pressure when hot due to worn out cam bearings. How did I find out? I did a ring and bearing job and it only helped raise the oil pressure a little when hot. The second engine I did a full rebuild and everything came up to specs.

·
Dimples
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
We’ve been working pretty steadily at organizing and cleaning things up. We uncovered a bump that the rear driver’s corner had taken at some point. I hooked a come along to that corner and was able to pull it out some. Jury is still out on if we can massage that or if it’ll require a partial quarter replacement. The tail light panel will definitely have to be replaced though.

·
Dimples
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Here’s some detail shots where you can see that the (goofy chromed) quarter extension doesn’t want to sit right.

edit: worth noting that the bumper isn’t properly bolted up here, so ignore that.

Also a set of ‘69 vintage wheels that a buddy is donating to the cause. Steel slots. Pretty sweet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome!! My daughter and I started a project coupe a few years back but we moved and it had to be re-homed! My daughter still asks when we are going to start another one so I am currently looking!! Can't wait to see your progress! Congrats!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Blake great project for sure!!! Order up that tail light panel asap before all the original tooling ones are gone....

·
Registered
371 Posts
I like it!

Definitely take plenty of before pictures for your album and future reference.

Time will fly by with wonderful memories.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I took a look at it the other day and got some measurements for mine (need a few more that I forgot to do) and the car is in very good shape. I have seen allot of cars that were decades newer that are in much worse condition. That will be a very easy project IMO. His might get a chunk of my old drivers quarter panel if it comes off usable.

·
Dimples
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Blake great project for sure!!! Order up that tail light panel asap before all the original tooling ones are gone....
Good call, that's on the list for sure.

I like it!

Definitely take plenty of before pictures for your album and future reference.

Time will fly by with wonderful memories.
That's the plan. Thanks!

I took a look at it the other day and got some measurements for mine (need a few more that I forgot to do) and the car is in very good shape. I have seen allot of cars that were decades newer that are in much worse condition. That will be a very easy project IMO. His might get a chunk of my old drivers quarter panel if it comes off usable.
Glad it meets your approval, Robert. I know lots of hot rodders, but few who have torn into a classic Mustang to the degree that you have. Fingers crossed on that quarter. :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Good call, that's on the list for sure.

That's the plan. Thanks!

Glad it meets your approval, Robert. I know lots of hot rodders, but few who have torn into a classic Mustang to the degree that you have. Fingers crossed on that quarter. :)
Your just used to rust free Texas cars... Was talking to my friend in Chicago an he wants me to make another trip to do the floor pans in his 84 El Camino. They are quite swissed cheesed and much newer than the Mustang. Just wait until I find a Charger or something, those rusted out like they were made out of paper mache. I was going to help a friend of my dads in Detroit with his Divco years ago and that was a real project.(a Divco would be a cool project to put a big block in though)

Gotta get that front end welded together before I tear the quarter off... Messed with it some more and the nose was a hare low. Looking better now though.

·
Dimples
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Beautiful day here in N. Texas yesterday. Jade and I decided to tackle some instant gratification beautification by cleaning and painting the inner fender area and front of the radiator support. My plan was to spend a few hours of dirty work and be able to walk away with some clean progress. Underside of the floor is next to get this treatment, so I wanted to go for something a little easier to help motivate the kiddo. She's fun to work on cars with. Doesn't complain about the work and finds deep satisfaction in making progress. We were also able to preserve some of the original assembly line marks, which is fun.

We'll do the inside of the shock towers when we replace the suspension, and same story with the engine bay when we pull the driveline. Baby steps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’m starting a similar project with my 12 year old son. We just bought a 68 coupe that needs paint and body work but is mechanically in good shape. Good luck with your project and keep up the great work at being a dad!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Blake, that’s awesome that you and your daughter have a project car! What better way to earn more appreciate for a first car with her own personal investment into it. It’s also great that your kid shares your same interests. Of my three kids, not a single one shares my passion for getting hands dirty working on cars. I’ll definitely be following your build!

·
Dimples
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
As noted above, it looks like the driver's rear corner got squished at some point in this car's life. I've been working on making this deal happen for the last few weeks, and yesterday, I was finally able to spend a couple hours with a sawzall and grinder to secure this. It'll be really nice to graft in this corner without having to piece it all together.

·
Dimples
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yes sir, welding time is getting close. I might take you up on that loaner offer. Of course, you’re in a constant state of welding these days, so I’m not sure I could do that to you.

For now, I’ll be teaching myself and my daughter how to separate panels in a gentle way. We’ll start by drilling out spot welds on the donor piece and then move to her coupe.

Question: would it be a bad thing to leave it on its wheels when we de-quarter and de-tail panel her car? Would frame rail support better?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Good to practice on old metal for the spotweld cutting. Some are barely welded others will be buried like a crater... You should have seen the 66 shell for sale at the swapmeet. Sandblasted with bad replacement panels and lots of lapped patches everywhere. He wanted 2500 for it... I would be totally embarrassed to have that for sale there with such bad work and really really ugly welds. I would have taken pics but the seller was there...

Support it by the pinch welds. The rear spring perch will push the rear floor up without the quarter. I think I have 4 more jack stands if you need them. I really wish I had a set of the really tall ones but I can't see buying them unless I found them used cheap as I won't need them too much longer.

If you need any tools you know where they are. Oh and I really wanted to buy a 70 El Camino at the swapmeet. There were a few there for decent prices. If the mustang were near done it would be Ok but I do have that concrete pad that could use another car on it... Though the 69 ish dodge crewcab truck there was a super super rare find and sold friday.

·
Dimples
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Appreciate the offer and the advice on jack points. I have 6 jack stands so I should be good there.

I was thinking the same thing on the spot welds. Makes sense to practice on the parts car stuff where half of it is getting tossed.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts