Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Love this! I’m hoping my son will take to mustangs like Jade has when he’s a little older.
I’ll be following. I’m fairly local and also have a welder you can borrow if needed!

·
Dimples
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Been a long while since an update, but that doesn't mean we haven't been busy.

The donor cut (driver's side quarter and tail panel) has been drilled out and is now ready to go on. All spot welds have been cut on the current quarter and tail panel, so at this point it's down to making the cuts at the roof and the rocker and the old panels will come off. I'm not sure on timing there, but with borrowed welder, we're going to jump in and make it happen. I think for the sake of this install, we're going to get more welding done elsewhere first, so we have some more practice. There are tons of trim holes to fill, as well as the driver's floor patch, which has been trimmed and is almost ready to go in.

I've also been busy wheeling and dealing parts, plus I had a friend come through big time and give us pretty much a whole driveline.

T5 from an 86 Mustang, 1980 302 with 500 miles on it that had some FOD on two pistons. Apparently he dropped some hardware down the intake on a new carb install. Couple dinged up pistons but the cylinder walls are fine. After swapping those pistons, I think we'll source some GT40P heads out of an explorer and call that done. The 289 that's in there now is way past it. Every bit of the inside is caked with sludge and the main bearings are hosed.

Just did a deal to get a Mustang Steve clutch cable setup like my fastback, so I'm happy about that.

Lots more to come, but there's the latest. Almost time to start melting metal!

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
Really coming along, there, Tex !!

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
Heck yeah, 1 year and 10 months to go!
My older son will be taking his driver license test in the Emberglo car in July. We're nearing completion on the interior, I'm likely putting 3-point belts in the front before then, and moving on to less time-sensitive stuff we can do just in a day like leaf springs, front suspension, new exhaust, etc. It's nice going out for driving lessons with fewer cars on the road !!

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
Looking good.Let me know if you need to borrow any tools etc. A friend had a diesel truck that the mechanic added some fod to the intake and put a big dent in a piston. That means taking the cab off the truck in those.

I have been doing lots of welding on mine. Not that far from being done with the front end and starting on the rear quarters. Still a bit away from getting a drive train for mine but not far off from needing an explorer rear end.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts