Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the years my car has had 3 different mud flaps on it. The first set was from Pep Boys in the 90s and were for a fox body. I got them because immediately after my car got freshly painted, the county decided to tear up all the roads in my neighborhood. Instantly I had what looked like a decade of road rash on the lower quarters. That was really a bummer. Then I had a pair from Napa for a road trip a few years ago. They are actually kinda neat and are a close match for the factory rubber floor mats. Not too bad, but they were like floppy dog ears.

I've been looking for some smaller lower profile mud flaps for my car for quite a while. It seems that almost no one makes them specifically for our cars. I did come across these unique ones called JFlaps JFM65-A4 from Jaeger Brothers Automotive Accessories which seem to be sold exclusively at NPD 16A550-1A . I like the design and the way they mount. It is basically like windlace. They can be installed in 60 seconds and easily removed for car shows etc. These fit so nicely I may not take them off. They are only sold in a set of 4 but I am just running them on the rear. They have been speed tested to 140 MPH on a Porsche, so I think they'll stay in place. I may drive fast, but never hit that sort of speed. I just put them on today, and so far I am very happy with them. Both quality and fit have met my expectations. While they may seem a little short they appear to cover the area where most of the road rash occurs.

SPLASH GUARD PLASTIC SET OF 4 CUSTOM MADE - #16A550-1A - National Parts Depot

Splash Guards, Mud Flaps 1965-1966 Mustang Front and Rear | Jaeger Brothers Automotive Accessories

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Generally speaking I hate mud flaps mostly when rock throwing trucks in front of me don't have them.
On cars they don't look real spiffy, but If one has the need these from NPD would seem a good choice.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I go back and forth with how they look. But every time I don't have them on for any length of time more road rash occurs. The previous ones would have looked better if they didn't hang quite as low. I actually dig these new ones.

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
Better than nothing but I think after I have my car painted I'm going to make my own

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have a set of the Jaeger Brothers on my 67' and a front pair on my 07'. They are small enough not to stand out, and look decent while doing a great job of protecting the rockers.
I lost one off the 67' last year on the Hot Rod Power Tour because I didn't have it crimped tight enough - my fault. I call Jaeger Brothers, told him it was my fault I lost it, and asked if I could order a replacement. He said "no problem, I will send one out today at no charge". I had it within two days. Great customer service!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I got a set last year, but haven't had a chance to put them on yet, unfortunately I haven't been driving it anywhere lately. I'll put them on for the drive, and take them off at shows.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts

·
VMF Ambassador
6,578 Posts
Huh, looks like I just have the homegrown version of what you bought. Mine are held on by binder clips instead of windlace, and are cut to fit the wheelwell by yours truly. They were originally $20 auto parts store generic mudflaps.

I think mudflaps look great when they're not trucker-style.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a set last year, but haven't had a chance to put them on yet, unfortunately I haven't been driving it anywhere lately. I'll put them on for the drive, and take them off at shows.
I think these look so nice I'll probably leave them on all the time. Find some place to drive it even if it just out for some errands.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huh, looks like I just have the homegrown version of what you bought. Mine are held on by binder clips instead of windlace, and are cut to fit the wheelwell by yours truly. They were originally $20 auto parts store generic mudflaps.

View attachment 756367
I think yours do look pretty cool! I actually saw them at Oreilly's and thought about it for a minute and walked past them multiple times, but didn't want to be a copycat. The mountain landscape is sorta Jane's trademark. Almost bought them though.With their size a bit of trimming definitely looks like it would be needed. I didn't know you cut them down but I remember seeing the binder clips, but that makes sense now.

The Jflaps are about 60 bucks but it is a set of 4 so that's only $30 a pair and I have a spare pair, since I'm not running them on the front.

Years ago I wasn't sure about mud flaps until I put them on, but I actually still sorta miss my goofy fox body ones sometimes. I don't know what happened to them. As long as it doesn't look like this semi, I'm good with them.

What was it you said a few years ago? "Mud flaps belong on every business Mustang!"

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a set of the Jaeger Brothers on my 67' and a front pair on my 07'. They are small enough not to stand out, and look decent while doing a great job of protecting the rockers.
I lost one off the 67' last year on the Hot Rod Power Tour because I didn't have it crimped tight enough - my fault. I call Jaeger Brothers, told him it was my fault I lost it, and asked if I could order a replacement. He said "no problem, I will send one out today at no charge". I had it within two days. Great customer service!
I talked to Jason about them before ordering and he seemed like someone that came up with a great idea and that I'd want to buy from. He originally made them for an awesome 70 Boss 302. Sounds like I was right.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts

View attachment 756367
Kelly, your's look like a hell crap mess. We can discuss your highly questionable taste in all things mud flaps the next time you return home to the RTP, really looking forward to meeting you someday. Get this: I knew C.I.Smith, MacDaddy of Geology where you went to school at UTA, what an honor for you, one of the best schools in the world. He was Chairman and Co-Director of Geology at the University of Michigan back in the 70's and his son and I are friends to this day. Dr. Smith passed a few years ago so I'm fairly certain you never met him, although you may have come across his name around the joint. Ever heard of U of M's Camp Davis near Jackson Hole? Spent a summer there, drove a Jeep with thirteen gears (seven forward, six reverse) and had a stare down with a moose. Won't in writing, but when we meet someday I'll tell you a funny story involving geology students, a fresh water mountain stream, and Coor's Beer. :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I used a clear plastic coating, similar to the one in the link on my FFR Cobra. Protects the paint behind the wheels and is almost invisible.
I need to get some of that for my Explorer, cuz the puppy dog gets exited and wants to get in the back before I get it opened up, so it'll protect from the scratches a bit.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I put these splash gaurds on before long road trips going to MCA shows, it makes it easier to clean the car prior to judging. I use binder clips for easy on, easy off.
On the second photo look at the fibreglass screen I put on the front of the car, it keeps the bugs from getting in rad, on the grille, fog lamps and most of the front end, it is also held on with small binder clips.
I don't use these for local driving, only on long road trips.

Reactions: 68Hildago

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put these splash gaurds on before long road trips going to MCA shows, it makes it easier to clean the car prior to judging. I use binder clips for easy on, easy off.
On the second photo look at the fibreglass screen I put on the front of the car, it keeps the bugs from getting in rad, on the grille, fog lamps and most of the front end, it is also held on with small binder clips.
I don't use these for local driving, only on long road trips.
I think I may have seen a picture of those maybe even your car when searching the interwebs for pictures. The idea of the bug screen was considered at one time before a road trip my dad and I took, but I figured the car would run hot that way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts