Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use JB weld for attaching small sheet metal patches.
I have a 2" square patch on the lower front of my door i need to install and im conserned about warping and it is close to the edge. would JB weld work for this?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Ahhh, no. You know all of those paint jobs that look great for about a week and then start to blister, peel and crack? Repairs like this is why that happens. :naive:

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
There are products out there for gluing together body panels , I believe one is called fusor .

Just take time and weld it . Small bursts with a mig will do it . Heck take 3 hours to weld it if it scares you . Zip it a little and then give it 15 minutes , etc.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Besides frankly whatever rust you see is about 20% of what is really there.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Not that I like to warp things when I weld.But personally You'd be far better off removing all of the rust and welding in a piece,If it gets a little warped,that will give you the opportunity to learn abour hammer and dolly work.And after you've fixed it properly if you've got to use a fine layer of filler That's no big deal.As others have stated JB weld and body work do not go together,That's getting close to the duct tape and bondo method.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hear Eastwood carrys some good stuff for doing this. I talked to a guy that used it to install quarters on his 69 conv. Firebird. He loved it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
besides the fact that it's a half ass repair as everyone else has said, how would you even do this with an adhesive like fusor? It only works if you're doing a lap weld, which would not be very good on a door patch. You need to butt weld it w/ a MIG. Unless you're really cranking on it with lots of heat, you won't warp it. Go slow, it's not hard.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
No, absolutely not, you need to do it right and weld it. I had to have the same thing done on Trouble. The lower right corner of the driver's side had rusted due to blocked drains. We cut out the bad area and one of my friend's welded the patch in. It's the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Besides frankly whatever rust you see is about 20% of what is really there.
I know i allready cut out the bad part and cleaned it all out. :chainsaw: I made up a patch to butt weld in place when i noticed the JB weld stuff sitting on the workbench and i thought it might work. You guys have convinced me to weld it in maybe i will get to this on Monday.
:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts