Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Mocking up the exhaust system n my 67 coupe and thought I would pass on some key findings:

1. JBA 1650 Headers for 289/302: These could not fit better or be more well made. They clear the frame, starter, T5, and cable clutch set-up with room to spare. Highly recommended. Thick 1 piece flange to mate to the head and prevent leaks.

2. JBA 1650 SX X-pipe: Beautiful, but won't fit a T5 conversion. Fits perfect at the header, but hits both the Mustang Steve and Ron Morris cross member. If you use this X pipe, be prepared to "massage" it (aka, dent the ^^%$$# out of it). Has O2 bungs (and plugs) so you are ready for EFI or carb.

3. JBA 1651 H-Pipe: Made for T5 conversion, fits like a glove. Has O2 bungs (and plugs) so you are ready for EFI or carb:

4. JBA 40-2650 "cat back": Mid pipes and mufflers fit perfectly to the 1651 H-Pipe. Tailpipes will be tough to get to clear 4 link suspension. Very well made:

I have the curved tailpipe pieces acting like turndowns for now.

Hope this helps those looking for restomod systems!

-- Mike

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently you haven't looked at our new tailpipes that go on the outside. They will clear any 4 link, 3 link, and our new Watts link rear end:)
Don't see them on your 67-68 page under exhaust. Where are you hiding them? :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
To add to this JBA thread. On my particular 67 FB, JBA 1653S shorties on a 351W will HIT the Unisteer Rack. The passenger side is perfect.

BTW they are for sale, never installed per se.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
You can see the tailpipes on our 65 fastback build, we don't have them on our website yet. I already stated they will fit any 3 link 4 link or Watts link.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Looks great. I have their tri-y headers and x-pipe that dumps through the rear valance. It came with the trumpets, which are rather large compared to stock trumpets. Hopefully it sounds good.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can see the tailpipes on our 65 fastback build, we don't have them on our website yet. I already stated they will fit any 3 link 4 link or Watts link.
Found the tailpipe pic on your forum. Looks like you'd need to run bullet/glasspack type mufflers that can mount farther forward, vs larger chamber-style mufflers, to get a proper angle?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
That's not correct. We are using our standard 12 inch mufflers and the factory mounting locations. We tried the 24 inch and the 36 inch Shelby mufflers from Stainless Works, but they were just to loud for my taste.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Are your tailpipes stainless and are they available now?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
To add to this JBA thread. On my particular 67 FB, JBA 1653S shorties on a 351W will HIT the Unisteer Rack. The passenger side is perfect.

With all that open space , why did they put the collector THERE?

·
Registered
117 Posts
As you guys run race cars, will it possibly clear a Fuel Safe fuel cell aka just a big square box?

·
Registered
101 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Own a pair (of very well made JBA conversion shorties in stainless) that do not fit my 1967 351W because of a conflict with the TCP (Total Control Products) rack and pinion. I ended up using a set of Hedmann shorties that are not nearly as well made but fit.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I went back and looked at my steering shaft clearance from earlier in my build and it's close.

The extra deck height of a 351 would certainly put the collector in the line of fire. I would have thought the 1653s would account for that height. Bummer they don't fit!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts